Hiker killed by herd of cows

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
miah66

Hiker killed by herd of cows

Post by miah66 » July 29th, 2014, 11:58 am

More of a reason to dislike grazing in wilderness areas

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/29 ... pparently/

VIENNA – Police say a herd of cows attacked and killed a German woman hiking through their fenced-in pasture after apparently being riled by the sight of her leashed dog.

They said Tuesday the 45-year old victim was rushed by about 20 cows and their calves. Attempts by an emergency crew to revive her were unsuccessful.

The attack occurred Monday on a mountain pasture in Austria's Tyrol province. The woman's name was not released, in accordance with Austrian confidentiality rules.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kmcdade

Re: Hiker killed by herd of cows

Post by kmcdade » July 29th, 2014, 5:16 pm

That...is creepy!
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 29th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Who crosses a fence, with a dog, in cattle country?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 30th, 2014, 7:23 am

A fenced pasture is not exactly wilderness.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 30th, 2014, 7:26 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:A fenced pasture is not exactly wilderness.
I meant that it is scary that cows killed a woman, not that pastures are wilderness. I have come across cows in wilderness many times and mostly never considered that they could or would kill me. It's a numbers game of course, but just a blurb to make you think.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Post by Koda » July 30th, 2014, 9:19 am

I didnt know that grazing was allowed inside designated wilderness areas?

I have seen free range cattle in national forests though and have even came upon some while off trail. Yup they will trample and kill you and one time I hiked waayyyy out of my way to avoid a bull that was staring me down. (I've also had similar experience with wild horses). I would treat all cattle with a wide girth...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 30th, 2014, 11:09 am

Do note that this incident took place in the Austrian Tyrol, not the US. Trails in European mountains run through privately owned pasture land--in fact, most mountain meadows there are privately owned. And those are dairy cattle, generally more excitable than the beef cattle you'll find grazing on National Forest land in the western US.

Grazing is allowed in wilderness areas per the Wilderness Act. The grazing allotments are grandfathered in. However, no new allotments can be made, so if one is discontinued, it can't be leased to someone else. This has reduced the amount of grazing in wilderness areas from what it was before the Wilderness Act.

I hiked through a rather well-populated cattle grazing area in Colorado with Hysson in 2009 and was rather nervous about it. Cows don't like dogs, especially around their calves. Hysson sensed the hostility and stuck close to me for "protection." In that area, the grazing (and the meadows) stopped at the wilderness boundary, but the trailhead and the first two miles were in open, park-like meadows inhabited by a lot of very noisy Black Angus cattle. Since the cattle used the trail, we had to do quite a few detours to avoid stepping in the frequent "cow pies."

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 30th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:Cows don't like dogs, especially around their calves.
Quoted for emphasis... It's sad that someone died, but it's dangerously close to a Darwin award IMO