Skamania County adds weekend buses for recreation in Gorge

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Ryan Ojerio

Skamania County adds weekend buses for recreation in Gorge

Post by Ryan Ojerio » April 23rd, 2014, 8:38 am

Skamania County adds weekend buses for recreation in Washington's Columbia Gorge

From Terry Richard at the Oregonian:

"New weekend bus service begins in May that will transport riders between a transit center on the east side of Vancouver, Wash., east out the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge as far as the Dog Mountain trailhead.

Stops along the way will include several recreation opportunities, including the trail systems at North Bonneville, Cape Horn, Skamania, Bonneville Hot Springs, the Pacific Crest Trail, Trapper Creek Wilderness Area and Dog Mountain."

For the whole story visit: http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... end_b.html

- Happy Trails, Ryan
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

pablo

Re: Skamania County adds weekend buses for recreation in Gor

Post by pablo » April 23rd, 2014, 3:10 pm

The author proposes an interesting challenge:
Who will be the first to ride Tri-Met, C-Tran, Skamania County bus to Bridge of the Gods, hike to Timberline Lodge, Clackamas County bus, Trti-Met round-trip from Portland?
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2014, 3:15 pm

That would be pretty cool

Takes a big part of the first and last days to do the transiting

Charley

Post by Charley » April 23rd, 2014, 5:45 pm

The excellent thing about this is that by parking in Vancouver or Washougal and taking the bus, one could pay only $4 to hike at Beacon rock, instead of the $10 day use parking fee that WA State Parks now charges.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 25th, 2014, 11:12 pm

I rode a very nice bus to Astoria Wednesday it left the Amtrak station at 9:30 and I got to Astoria before noon.A friend came over from Ocean park we had lunch and went out to watch the show at the South Jetty. Took the same bus back and my wife picked me up after eight at Union station.

36 bucks a round trip My Pilot or my truck for sure would have drank more than that. Slept most of the way back and it was better on my back in the large reclining seats I very much enjoyed the whole experience I was glad my friend mentioned it or I would have driven.

He did sucker me into some minor electrical advice on his remodel and I thought he just wanted to hang out :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura