Grassy Knoll/Big Huckleberry Mountain 6.8.09

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
BaileyBoy

Grassy Knoll/Big Huckleberry Mountain 6.8.09

Post by BaileyBoy » June 7th, 2009, 11:22 am

Bailey and I are planning on hiking this area Monday starting from the TH off Road 68 and Rd 511. I have reviewed Granny's hike and do have the Sullivan directions but still expect to get lost on the roads at least once since that's what I seem to do.
I'm planning on leaving home (west of Multnomah Village) around 9 Am since I don't want to hit heavy traffic coming home which for me means not getting to Pdx until after 6 PM.
The weather forecast for Stabler is partly sunny and 73 degrees. I'm carrying extra water for Bailey but hope to hit some snow packs plus possible access to a spring along the way.
If we're lucky there will be lots of flowers along the way so I anticipate meandering to find some nice photos.
My car is in need of repair so I'm driving my SUV and could haul 2-3 people or dogs.

Skip

Waffle Stomper

Re: Grassy Knoll/Big Huckleberry Mountain 6.8.09

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 7th, 2009, 11:48 am

I'm hoping to make the trip there next weekend. I have never seen a spring for water so it is wise to bring extra for Bailey. I'm looking forward to your trip report and photos. If you hit it right the flowers are spectacular.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 9th, 2009, 7:36 am

What were the trail conditions like? Are the flowers blooming yet?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » June 9th, 2009, 8:26 am

I did this hike last year the first week of August and the wildflowers were peaking. The balsam root has was done, but the lupine, columbine, tiger lilies, etc. were blooming in full force. It was awesome. Also, I remember the road to the trailhead being quite rough...and a bit confusing. Am interested to hear if the snow has melted yet.

Here's the link to my blog from that hike: http://arcanaphotography.blogspot.com/2 ... -been.html
Kam

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » June 9th, 2009, 9:31 am

I'll be posting my report early this afternoon but rest assured it's beautiful and very flowery up there with very little snow around.

Skip

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » June 9th, 2009, 10:37 am

I'm looking forward to the trip report, we're doing a trailwork party/campout/potluck on the Grassy Knoll Trail on June 20-21. Any sections of the trail that are in rough shape or too brushy? -Thanks Ryan
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » June 9th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Actually Ryan the trail is in excellent shape and not really grown in at all compared to most trials, especially the route up to Grassy Knoll and even on to Grassy Pass.
One area that might need a little work is just past the cliffs at a snow pack on the trail. It was pretty muddy when we went up but it could use a little work.
There were some rocks on the trail that I didn't kick off and I didn't pick up one piece of trash near the cliffs but other than that it's in great shape.
You guys will have plenty of time to enjoy the views and flower show.

Skip

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » June 9th, 2009, 3:44 pm

How about the leg to Huckleberry Mtn? Was there much snow still? Were there any seasonal streams that could be a water source?
Kam

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » June 9th, 2009, 7:07 pm

From Grassy Pass to Huckleberry Mtn you have Cold Springs and then a seasonal spring closer to the Mtn. There are a couple of snowfields in the ravines but there is no snow anywhere from the PCT junction up to the top of the Mtn.
Of course, it's only a half mile up there and the seasonal creek is about 1/2 miles before the junction so I don't think your dog would have any problem so long as it drank at the stream.

Skip