Eastern Invasion

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
retired jerry

Re: Eastern Invasion

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2012, 9:32 am

Snow April 12 on the Deschutes? Nice pics. Probably not enough to hinder you though.

Late July - Cascades - still probably a lot of snow at the most alpine areas, but you should be able to do a nice trip somewhere up there - trip reports from early July should be instructive

vinovampire

Re: Eastern Invasion

Post by vinovampire » April 23rd, 2012, 10:54 am

retired jerry wrote:Snow April 12 on the Deschutes? Nice pics. Probably not enough to hinder you though.
Well, I wouldn't say that there was snow, but there was snow. I should have called it a dusting of snow, as can be seen in that last picture. That said, even that dusting of snow is way more than what we have in NNE right now, which is none. There's the NOAA snow map for the northeast http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/ ... depth.html

As I mentioned, we did a short XC ski loop near Mt Bachelor, which was fun. Good amounts of snow in that area, to say the least. I wish we had another day or two in that area, so we could have done a longer snowshoe or ski trip.

I'll be back in Portland at the end of May and then most of July. So, I'll be on this site regularly looking for a couple short trip ideas.