Hello, New hiker here

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Happygoruckyrandy

Hello, New hiker here

Post by Happygoruckyrandy » January 14th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Randy. Thought I'd introduce myself.

October, I started my weight loss journey and the monotony of walking on a treadmill led me to start hiking on my weekends. It has really helped with my weight loss. I have done about 9 different hikes since November at some point. I am new to this all for the most part. Have hiked in the past but not to the extent I have been recently. My goal is to start backpacking as the weather warms up slightly. Cant express how valuable a resource this website is. See you all around more than likely.

Peder

Re: Hello, New hiker here

Post by Peder » January 15th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Welcome Randy! It sure is more fun to lose weight outdoors! There are a number great places to hike around Portland that are written up in the Field Guide, so that you do not have to drive far on a rainy day.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » January 15th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Welcome!! Congrats and good luck on your journey to health!! About a year and a half ago I started hiking on my weight loss journey! This site is an excellent resource and there are sooo many amazing places to see so close to the city!!

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » January 16th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Welcome! I am also hiking to lose weight (or losing weight to hike more). Either way, it's a lot more fun than the treadmill! Keep it up!
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 19th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Welcome to the site, Randy! There is no better way to get into shape than hiking and IMHO, you have come to the right place.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Happygoruckyrandy

Post by Happygoruckyrandy » January 22nd, 2015, 1:50 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!