A little overnight camping and day hikes

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
BrySther

A little overnight camping and day hikes

Post by BrySther » December 20th, 2014, 11:50 am

Hi all, I am new to the network and I was wondering if someone could help provide input for locating areas that allow winter overnight camping. There will be 3 of us in our group that would want to ease into this experience. We will be packing snowshoe gear as well if suggestions come in around Mt Hood. We are PDX peeps.

Maybe coast Mt Range maybe safer with milder weather.

PS Loved the Ramona Falls pics from the 16th.

Thoughts.... Thanks and I look forward to sharing hiking and camping experiences,

Brian

payslee

Re: A little overnight camping and day hikes

Post by payslee » December 20th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Hi Brian,

Do you mean car camping? You can hike or snowshoe just about anywhere in the national and state forests and pitch your tent, but if you want a campground then a state park is probably your best bet. Many are open year round. Silver Falls is awesome, on the dry side is a campground at the end of the deschutes river near the Dalles, and there's lots of options on the coast. The coastal mountains may be warmer, but they are WETTER.

Not a great snow year so far though - may need umbrella over snowshoes just about anywhere :(

have fun and stay warm!
-payslee