Hello!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
nwrcflyer

Hello!

Post by nwrcflyer » December 8th, 2014, 10:59 am

Hello All,

I am new to the Portland hikers group. I live and work in Maryland as a firefighter. I am blessed to have a very flexible schedule that allows me to travel and explore the outdoors as frequently as I wish (which is a lot).

I am very active in hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, fishing, ect. Every time I return home from the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, or the Wasatch, I find myself wanting to return as quickly as possible and push my physical endurance limits even further.

My goal for joining this group is to network and engage in new hiking experiences with new friends from the Pacific Northwest.

My first goal... Backpack Rainier's Wonderland Trail.

But, I am open to any other ideas from experienced locals!

Hope to meet you and see you at the trailhead!

--Mike C.

Lumpy

Re: Hello!

Post by Lumpy » December 8th, 2014, 11:27 am

Well, I guess you are doing what that one mayor asked people to do when they come here: "Leave your money!" :lol:

I felt like this area was where I wanted to be when I got here. I hope you are able to continue to keep visiting. Welcome!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

nwrcflyer

Post by nwrcflyer » December 8th, 2014, 11:43 am

Lumpy,

As an economics major in college, I fully respect what your mayor has in mind.

Your mayor's statement reminds me of something a citizen of British Columbia told me last time I was there. He said "BC does not stand for British Columbia. It stands for Bring Cash.". He added an " eh!" on the end too ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2014, 12:42 pm

welcome

with or without money :)

I haven't done Wonderland, but I have heard you have to reserve a specific campsite each night, reservations are limited so it's hard to plan

I've hiked around Three Sisters a few times. That's another good hike. Some details in the field guide (click on "field guide" at upper left, "central oregon",...)

nwrcflyer

Post by nwrcflyer » December 8th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Thanks! I am going to submit my wonderland permit requests in March. I will probably add an extra person to the permit to make room for anyone who may want to tag along last minute.

Luckily my schedule is flexible so I hope that helps in the permit process.