Visiting from San Diego, but relocating soon!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
iirodim

Visiting from San Diego, but relocating soon!

Post by iirodim » November 16th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Hello!

This wonderful site has been so instrumental in helping me plan my early December trip up. Since I plan to relocate to the Portland area next year, I figured I'd join in . :)

I'm a moderately experienced hiker - I mostly do a lot of dayhikes here in SoCal but have also backpacked and overnighted around the Snoqualmie area of Washington.

During my stay in Oregon, I'm chasing waterfalls (because the few here are so underwhelming). Around the Columbia River Gorge and then down to Silver Falls. Since I'm traveling with someone who has never hiked at all, I'm sticking to easier trails - which is fine since I'd love to save some of the longer hikes for myself for when its not winter! :lol: We're all rainproofed and excited to go!
Last edited by iirodim on November 16th, 2014, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamschneider

Re: Visiting from San Diego, but relocating soon!

Post by adamschneider » November 16th, 2014, 12:27 pm

The Gorge and Silver Falls are excellent choices for December. (I wouldn't even bother with Silver Falls in the summer.)

If you have enough daylight, you might think about also checking out Abiqua Falls on your way down the valley.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 16th, 2014, 1:46 pm

I'm from Solana Beach, born and raised there. I miss the weather, some friends (I later discovered many of them moved to PDX land!), but nothing else. This is where I belong, and I hope you feel that way, too.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

iirodim

Post by iirodim » November 16th, 2014, 7:54 pm

adamschneider wrote:The Gorge and Silver Falls are excellent choices for December. (I wouldn't even bother with Silver Falls in the summer.)

If you have enough daylight, you might think about also checking out Abiqua Falls on your way down the valley.
Thank you, I will!
Lumpy wrote:I'm from Solana Beach, born and raised there. I miss the weather, some friends (I later discovered many of them moved to PDX land!), but nothing else. This is where I belong, and I hope you feel that way, too.
Hey ex-neighbor! I obviously can't say until I get there, but I don't think I'll miss the weather... I love the rain and hate the heat. Ive always felt more at home when visiting the pacific northwest, but this will be my first time in Portland, so I hope so too. :D

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » November 18th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Welcome to the wonderful Pacific NW! If you can make it through the first winter of drizzle and grey skies, you'll love it here! But then, considering the drought you're leaving, maybe it will be welcome.

Our son lives in Spring Valley, and would love to move back up here, but doesn't think it will ever happen because he married a San Diego girl and she has zero interest in moving.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 19th, 2014, 8:59 am

Welcome, welcome! East Coast transplant here, and I would never go back. I think you will fit in perfectly here :D. Enjoy your trip, and making those final preparations for moving (always a joy, right?) ;)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown