Lindsey Creek 8 23 2011

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Lindsey Creek 8 23 2011

Post by chameleon » August 24th, 2011, 9:58 am

Yesterday afternoon, I ventured up Lindsey Creek. It was a little recon mission. I wanted to get to the top waterfall I've visited, and scope out a way beyond it.

I crossed Lindsey, and made my way to the ancient road up the canyon. It has seen a couple of substantial landslides this year. The most notable, several tons of rock broke loose onto it, right above Lindsey Creek Falls. I followed the road for a ways, and finally broke down to the waterfall at the streams main fork.

The water was low, so it was an easy scramble up the left side of it. From there, it's just a hop and a skip up a stellar little slot canyon to the top waterfall I've found on the creek. I scoped it out for a bit, and also looked for salamanders. I found two nice pacific giants and a tiny western redback...it could have been a baby dunn's...not entirely sure. I love finding these wonderful, shangi-la salamander habitats, devoid of human activity. It makes me happy for these guys.

Anyway, I believe I found a way above...but the next trip up will have to confirm it.

On the way back, I just followed the stream back to the top of Lindsey Creek Falls, and then broke up to the road. Didn't see another soul. I did break down to Lindsey Creek Falls however, and the path out to the road is becoming a major trail. It's seeing lots of visitors...Scott's guide is obviously inspiring many lusty waterfall lovers...

Also saw many small fish, and a tailed-frog tadpole stuck to a rock (they have these huge sucking mouths which help them survive in fast-moving streams). It was a fun little expedition. A few pics...
Lindsey creek 1.jpg
lindsey creek 2.jpg
lindsey creek 3.jpg
Lindsey Creek 4.jpg

pyles_94

Re: Lindsey Creek 8 23 2011

Post by pyles_94 » August 24th, 2011, 10:32 am

Looks like a fun little creek, Zach
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 24th, 2011, 4:52 pm

You haven't been to Lindsey yet Jamey? Lindsey Creek Falls is pretty popular. And if you haven't, I'd recommend exploring the section between it and Harrison Falls. There's some pretty water in there.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 24th, 2011, 5:45 pm

love the photos you post Zach, they make these places so inviting to explore.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 24th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Thanks Koda. I can say the same about your Warren trip last year. I've still yet to hit that upper half. And I've looked from the WA side to scope an up-hill route past the major waterfall (the one you've been to the top of, and I've been to the bottom of). It would be so difficult, I've concluded a down-hill route, rappeling is really the best way to go. I'll just have to bring enough rope!

Koda

Post by Koda » August 24th, 2011, 10:05 pm

well, I had a really great photo I took of that amphitheater and falls zoomed in from Dog mtn earlier this year... but it seems I must have lost it when I had issues with my laptop. I could actually see the spout of the falls in the photo, it clearly showed the magnitude of the cliffs on both sides. I don't think there is a way around it going upstream. That large falls, splits that canyon in half...

There are a few good smaller falls in the upper section. I haven't looked at that TR in a while, but at least a couple are quite photogenic. your camera skills would do them justice.

I learned a lot about canyoneering on that trip. Was one of the more memorable experiences... it really humbled me :| But I would not trade that experience for the world.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 25th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Couple more pics...
Lindsey Creek 5.jpg
tailed frog.jpg

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 26th, 2011, 9:12 am

chameleon wrote:You haven't been to Lindsey yet Jamey? Lindsey Creek Falls is pretty popular. And if you haven't, I'd recommend exploring the section between it and Harrison Falls. There's some pretty water in there.

I've been to both Harrison and Lindsey, but not much of in between. I guess my comment was toward the sections up above!
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 26th, 2011, 10:03 am

Yeah, it's a gorgeous stream above - especially the little protected slot canyon section - neat volcanic saunas, elegant spouts, etc. I can't wait to get past the waterfall at the end of the slot canyon. I have a feeling there's probably at least one more waterfall on the stream - likely at the next fork.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 27th, 2011, 9:24 am

Zach, if you like little critters that hang around streams, check out Little Niagara falls not too far from Lower lewis area. Easy bushwhack if you know where youre going, and the stream below is full of salmanders and frogs, and moss that is a foot deep!
Jamey Pyles