Russ Jolley Trail History

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
mpmindol

Re: Russ Jolley Trail History

Post by mpmindol » September 22nd, 2011, 10:23 pm

Hi, I googled Mindolovich Trail to see what showed up. Found Nelsen's page about Russ's trails around Horsetail Falls. I'm Matt Mindolovich. My cousins and I blazed that trail with Russ in May 1967. This date may still be seen carved into the sign. I live in Iowa now, and miss the gorge. Don Nelsen, thanks for the pictures on your Return to the Russ Jolley Trail on Horsetail Creek archive entry. I notice you have Steven Shelter photographed. That was mostly built by my cousin, Steve, I think. Russ was a great guy. He used to hang out at our house on holidays, bringing cognac and fun. He will always be missed. And Lurch, that is an excellent map.

Peder

Post by Peder » September 23rd, 2011, 6:38 pm

mpmindol wrote:Hi, I googled Mindolovich Trail to see what showed up. Found Nelsen's page about Russ's trails around Horsetail Falls. I'm Matt Mindolovich. My cousins and I blazed that trail with Russ in May 1967. This date may still be seen carved into the sign. I live in Iowa now, and miss the gorge. Don Nelsen, thanks for the pictures on your Return to the Russ Jolley Trail on Horsetail Creek archive entry. I notice you have Steven Shelter photographed. That was mostly built by my cousin, Steve, I think. Russ was a great guy. He used to hang out at our house on holidays, bringing cognac and fun. He will always be missed. And Lurch, that is an excellent map.
Welcome to the site Matt! For others, this is the Don Nelsen post you are referring to. Congratulations on having a trail (somewhat) named after you! It is always exciting to hear about the history of the Gorge. Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 23rd, 2011, 8:02 pm

mpmindol wrote:Hi, I googled Mindolovich Trail to see what showed up. Found Nelsen's page about Russ's trails around Horsetail Falls. I'm Matt Mindolovich. My cousins and I blazed that trail with Russ in May 1967. This date may still be seen carved into the sign. I live in Iowa now, and miss the gorge. Don Nelsen, thanks for the pictures on your Return to the Russ Jolley Trail on Horsetail Creek archive entry. I notice you have Steven Shelter photographed. That was mostly built by my cousin, Steve, I think. Russ was a great guy. He used to hang out at our house on holidays, bringing cognac and fun. He will always be missed. And Lurch, that is an excellent map.
background info

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for the background info and also for blazing that trail! You have solved a mystery, for sure. You guys did a great job with it and it's a great trail now and in good shape for the most part. As Peder said and I second it, welcome to the site.

Don

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 23rd, 2011, 8:16 pm

It's wonderful to hear from folks who were here when it all happened! Thank you and welcome, mpmindol!

beag

Post by beag » September 24th, 2011, 9:55 am

Matt. Did you by any chance work on Russ's trails in Washington. He had a trail from Hardy Ridge to ST Cloud on SR 14 . I have managed to find most of it. Where I could not find the original Russ trail I managed to find places to merge with Russ's trail. On his map he had several camping spots noted. I have located a few of them. I have run into a few guys who used to work with Russ on the trail's.A lot more land has come into public hands thus parts of the trail will be in different places. Any info you can give would be appreciated as there is a move afoot to have a trail from Vancouver to Stevenson.I have hiked 95% of the proposed route so it will not be too difficult to finish the trail should a few more sections be aquired for public use. Great to hear from you.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 28th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Any way I could con an admin/mod to look at Matt's profile and scrounge up an email contact? Somehow I don't think he'll be looking back on here but I'd love to get in contact with him... Already tried a PM

Martell

Post by Martell » September 29th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Do you see an email button next to the PM button, or is that admin only?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 29th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Appears to be admin only

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 7th, 2011, 12:55 pm

And one more for RJ. Some one from work wife knew RJ
http://www.npsoregon.org/documents/Russ ... e%2010.pdf
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!