Russ Jolley Trail History

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Gray Jay

Russ Jolley Trail History

Post by Gray Jay » May 10th, 2011, 9:41 am

Brian Stenberg, who began climbing with Russ Jolley in 1961, sent me this history of what is now called by many the "Russ Jolley Trail" but which Brian and Russ called the Horsetail Creek Trail when they built it. (There are, indeed, many "Russ Jolley Trails" and camps on the landscape of the Columbia Gorge and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, but I don't know of anyone who has a complete inventory.)

Brian wrote to me: " I found the part about the Horsetail Creek trail especially interesting as I was a member of the original group that cut this trail starting in 1964. The original first camp was built approximately .75 miles from the upper falls. A 3 sided shelter with a large rock fire pit was constructed. We built a log bridge across the creek and rigged a large rope that crossed the creek at approximately 30 feet above the water. To this rope we attached a pulley and rope sling which allowed for several high speed crossings. We also built several rock pools and got 500 trout fingerlings from the ODFW hatchery at Eagle Creek to stock the creek. Imagine getting the cooperation to do this without an feasibility study today! In 1967, we began to push the trail further and at one time, it actually connected with a trail on Nesmith Lookout but this was later abandoned. The first camp was deconstructed in 1968 due to its location being used by others who did not share in the same ideals that Russ believed in. The second cabin was constructed on what was referred to as “6 Camp” as this was the sixth campsite constructed on this drainage. This cabin still exists and I visited it late last fall and found it to be in excellent repair."

Lurch

Re: Russ Jolley Trail History

Post by Lurch » May 10th, 2011, 11:02 am

Great info!

I'm curious about the other bits that they've worked on..

pablo

Post by pablo » May 10th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Most interesting and speaking of which, I ran across this in my searching of old Oregonians - can happen to anyone. This article is from June 28, 1960.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » May 19th, 2011, 7:21 am

Thanks for the info Gray Jay! I saw Russ at the Friends of the Gorge meeting a month ago and I was glad he could make it there. Russ showed me his Lost Creek Old-growth trail a few years back and I treasure the time I got to spend hiking with him and exploring his personal trails. I asked him about Bigfoot and he only laughed and quivered in mock fear. Good Jolly time with Jolley!! cheers, scott

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » May 19th, 2011, 7:25 am

Loved seeing that news article! Thanks for posting it!

Do we have the Russ Jolley section of the labelled correctly in the Field Guide? I'm not sure I'm entirely clear what section we're refering to? I'm not positive on the Bell Creek Trail either...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 19th, 2011, 3:36 pm

russ.jpg

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » May 20th, 2011, 7:39 am

Lurch....you're good! I wish I was half the GoogEarth wizard that you are!!....scott

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 20th, 2011, 1:45 pm

If only I had a way to get paid for all the time I've put into that thing! :lol:

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » May 23rd, 2011, 6:00 am

Great map! Picture's worth a thousand words. That's not at all where I was thinking that trail was!

malexreed

Post by malexreed » June 25th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Thanks for the awesome map, Lurch! I had no idea that the Russ Jolley Trail existed before reading about it on this site. My friend and I took a great trip up Russ Jolley, continuing on to Nesmith Point, and down Rock of Ages Ridge today. Super fun.