Munra Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Munra Creek

Post by chameleon » November 11th, 2010, 10:54 pm

I'm finishing up putting together the Munra Creek waterfalls for my book, and distinguishing the real number of falls. I'm thinking that there are six, as follows:

1. Munra Falls - 2 tiers
Munra Creek - Munra Falls 2.jpg
Munra Creek - Munra Falls - Upper tier.jpg

2. The next remains unnamed...suggestions...
Munra Creek - Second Falls upstream.jpg
3. In my opinion the most impressive falls of the stream is a two-tiered falls that carves down a narrow slot. The top part is spooky, as you can make out the face of an old man, and the white water makes his hair. The entire drop is about 120 ft. I'm tentatively thinking "Watcherman Falls" might be appropriate.
Munra Creek - Watcherman Falls.jpg
Munra Creek - Lower Watcherman Falls.jpg
4. Then above this, the highest single tiered falls ~ 110 ft...
Munra Creek - Fourth Falls upstream.jpg
5. Car Thief Falls (for the old stolen bronco located shortly downstream) ~ 90 ft...
Munra Creek - Top Falls near stolen car.jpg
6. Then you have the double falls at the very top, near the road.
Munra Creek - Roadside falls left side.jpg
Munra Creek - Roadside falls right side.jpg
Anything I've missed?

pyles_94

Re: Munra Creek

Post by pyles_94 » November 12th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Theres like five falls on the two branches of stream upstream of the road.. I dont know what youre counting there as a falls, if I remember right it goes like this. 3 falls on the left hand branch, 15 each, and two on the right, both 15 ish also.
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 12th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Thanks Jamey - Yeah, those are a bit short...I'm excluding a lot of the shorter falls of the Gorge. There are just so many! I'm trying to identify the bigger ones that would make the "waterfall" cut by almost anyone's standards that exist on each stream. There's a lot of grey area though for sure. If you ever make it down the entire length of Dog you'll see what I mean - on one hand you could say there are 15 waterfalls, on another you could say 3 or 4, or you could even potentially argue that large portions of the creek are simply single waterfalls that have very long runs. So, what I've decided to do is just focus on the really prominent ones, while briefly mentioning that there are other noteworthy slides and tumbles on the stream.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 12th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Yeah I see what you mean especially if youre doing a book of pretty much ALL the waterfalls in the gorge... There are so many. Man I cant wait to get your book! Ive been to most of them but to have all the falls on the tip of my fingers would be awesome.
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 12th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Hey, Zach -- I took a stab at organizing the group of small waterfalls above the road awhile back:

Greg Lief has photographed the falls below the road, so hopefully he'll weigh in, too.

Tom

beag

Post by beag » November 12th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Chameleon,
You may be interested in two falls, approx 100 foot drop South of SR 14 about MP 22,23. I call them Marble Falls and Belle Center Falls. You will probably recognise the name of the roads. They are easy enough to access. If you are interested I can guide you in there.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 14th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Jamey - Thanks for the interest! I can't wait to get it done either, but good things take time! Even so though, it'll be far from comprehensive. However, it'll definately be unique in terms of its scope and depth.

Tom - Awesome! Beautiful shots. I'll definately be including the names you've given the falls right along the road - those are both 20 + ft, so they make the cut. I'm still waffling on whether to include the ones upstream.

Beaq - Thanks for the tip! I just checked out that stream this afternoon, and those are beautiful falls. I'll post a report soon, so you can weigh in and tell me which one is which, so I get the names right!

-Zach

Guy

Post by Guy » November 14th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Hey Zach,

How doable is Munra Creek? I'm OK with bushwhacking but unlike you I'm not willing or able to don a drysuit & wade up streams in waist deep water or descend 100' cliffs :) .. But if this can be done as a bush whack with a bit of scrambling from the bottom up I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 14th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Yeah, it can be done rope free for sure. If you start from the bottom, here's what I've found is easiest...

Shortly after Munra Falls, break off up the southern hillside. Cut back toward the creek as soon as possible to hit the upper tier of Munra. Then climb the righthand slope to get beyond that tier. You'll happen upon a well-used deer path that cuts down to the creek again. In fact years ago, I tied a deer antler to a tree along it with a bit of pink tape. I was amazed last week to see it was still there!

After taking in the next falls, you can go up either side to get above it. I prefer the left hand side, as you climb up a bit of ridge to an area where there used to be an old road. Once you hit that flat roady section, cut back down to the stream so as not to miss the next falls - Watcherman falls. To get to the upper tier of it, you have to scramble up a gully and traverse the base of some cliffs. The upper tier is beautiful though.

Now, getting above Watcherman can be a bugger. It can be done from either side, but once again, I prefer the left. You have to backtrack to the flat roadish area, and then ascend up some steep terrain. Eventually though, you're above the watcherman cliff band and you can meander back to the stream. Make sure to bring your wide angle lens for the next falls - it's tall and the foliage limits your views.

Getting above that involves backtracking once more to your left, and then climbing steep deer paths until you're above that amphitheater, and it is a tall one! While falls is probably 110ft, the entire amphitheater is 200 +. Once above it though, carefully weave your way back toward the stream. A short distance upstream you'll pass an old bronco on the left hand side. If you're following the right hand slope you may miss it, given it's well camoflaged in moss and leaf litter now. Then soon you'll be at the base of Car Thief Falls. To get back up to the road, backtrack once more, and traverse up the left hand side. Then you can follow the road 777 to the top falls.

So, it's definately not a technical bushwhack, but it is strenous, and can be hazardous. You need to watch the angle of your slope and keep in mind that cliff-bands often appear out of no where in there. It's easy to take a wrong direction and nearly slide over one. But if you have experience with Gorge terrain, it's quite doable.

Guy

Post by Guy » November 14th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Many thanks Zach,

I've got it penciled in for a dry winter day!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors