Wauneka Point & Nesmith Point Loop 10/31/10

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Wauneka Point & Nesmith Point Loop 10/31/10

Post by Guy » November 1st, 2010, 5:47 pm

So Sunday I got the chance to do the McCord Falls to Wauneka Point route described by Pablo & Peder in this thread.

Pablo noted that there was going to be a Mazama hike doing this very loop on the 31st so I signed up & along with Andy, Jen, Sheri & hike leader Kirby we set out from the John B Yeon State Park trail head around 8:30 on a cloudy & misty morning.

As we approached McCord Falls & could see how much water was coming over we had some concern about crossing the creek. For comparison I've borrowed Pablo's photo from his thread so you can see what a difference a couple weeks makes!

Pablo's photo from earlier in the month:

We continued on past the Falls to just after the fallen tree that crosses the trail, there the creek is a little wider and flat & provided for an easy if cold fording of the creek.

The climb begins immediately after crossing the creek but there is minimal brush and quite a few game trails heading in the right direction!

In some places you would swear a trail was once here but it's all natural.

We gained the ridge line but there was still plenty of climbing to do! In fact one of the trickiest bits is shortly after gaining the ridge.
Image Image

We soon reached a more open area that Pablo has labeled as the Wauneka Gap on his GPS map. This was my favorite part of the climb & the lone trees growing on the edge of the ridge in the mist looked very cool.
Image Image

From here we returned into the trees & continued our climb towards Wauneka Point. There is one other lookout point along the way that gives you a good view of the McCord Creek drainage.

The weather continued to improve & by the time we arrived at the foot of Wauneka Point the Sun was out!

As others have said the Indian workings on Wauneka are well worth the trip & the best ones I've seen in the Gorge by far.

We had lunch on top in the Sun then set off on the lovely & little used Wauneka Point trail.

Then the Moffet Creek Trail over to the Nesmith Point Road. This was all new territory for me, we had our second crossing of McCord Creek & this time there was a bridge :) !

Andy said he hadn't been to Nesmith Point before so rather than head straight down the Nesmith Point trail we went up to Nesmith Point on the road then off trail again down the North side to intersect the trail a little ways up from it's junction with the Nesmith Ridge Trail. There are a couple of other Viewpoints just below Nesmith Point, here is one of Beacon Rock.

Kirby did a Masterful job of bringing us out just to the East side of the thicker brush. Then it was just a quick march back down the trail.

Thanks Kirby for leading us on a great hike, & to Sheri, Jen & Andy for the company & conversation. I think I'm going to agree with Peder on this one re difficulty level, I'd say this hike is a harder hike than Ruckel Ridge, Rock of Ages & Nesmith Ridge but well worth it.

More photos of the day here.
Last edited by Guy on November 1st, 2010, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Re: Wauneka Point & Nesmith Point Loop

Post by Don Nelsen » November 1st, 2010, 6:30 pm

Marvelous job!! Great photos and report - I've got to get up there soon.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pablo

Re: Wauneka Point & Nesmith Point Loop 10/31/10

Post by pablo » November 1st, 2010, 9:35 pm

Guy,

Great report and photos. Neat comparison of the difference in the amount of water in McCord Creek between your hike and mine - I just hopped across on bare rocks.

Lurch mentioned in a previous thread there is a route up the east side of Wauneka Point, I wonder what that one looks like.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm

Great shots and trip report. I've never done that hike, looks incredible.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

airdrum

Post by airdrum » November 2nd, 2010, 12:49 am

Great report and pics Guy, I only have a few to add. Pablo, I think the talus slope would be quite fun, the cliffs surrounding it, as you saw, are HUGE! I'd stay away from the edges though, all that debris got there somehow.

I'd rank the early part of this hike (until the exposed move) very easy, it's almost like a trail. After that though, it feels much like ruckel ridge, with less of a trail. That one move is very exposed, and avoidable if you are willing to battle brush. Next time I'll take he brush route, looking down from that exposed traverse gave me the jeebies for a sec.
Attachments
DSC030942.jpg
Moffatt Creek trail just east of McCord Creek
DSC030772.jpg
purple mushroom find
DSC030552.jpg
DSC030352.jpg
Between wauneka gap and the indian site
DSC029982.jpg
cliffs, talus slope just below the frame of the pic
DSC029812.jpg
Massive cliffs, those trees on top are normal size
DSC029422.jpg
Guy negotiates the exposed move easily, as you can see, it's a long fall from here
DSC029362.jpg
Guy near one of the views
DSC029232.jpg
This must be a real trail!
DSC028882.jpg
Near McCord Creek
Andy

Peder

Post by Peder » November 2nd, 2010, 8:00 am

pablo wrote:Neat comparison of the difference in the amount of water in McCord Creek between your hike and mine - I just hopped across on bare rocks.
When I passed there in mid-October the was absolutely NO water in the left hand branch of the Upper McCord Falls! On the other hand, I found the rocks in the creek bed very slick...

I am very pleased that Guy and Andy had good weather, it's a great hike.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 2nd, 2010, 9:53 am

That looks like a fun scramble, very jealous I am.
:)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Guy

Post by Guy » November 3rd, 2010, 5:59 pm

Thanks folks, yes it was a great trip.
Lurch mentioned in a previous thread there is a route up the east side of Wauneka Point, I wonder what that one looks like.
Me too! I'm thinking that this other route was the one Mr. Friddel (the overdue Mazama) was taking in the Spring. Perhaps we can prevail on Lurch to elaborate :) ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 5th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Great report & photos, Guy and Andy! It does look like a trail in a lot of those scenes - of course, this is exactly how the "trails" at Rock of Ages Ridge, Ruckel Ridge, Munra Point and so many others were "built", so keep up the good work..! ;)

Love the Wauneka Gap scene -- that, alone, is worth the price of admissions (Pablo's pics showed Mount Adams through the gap, which was cool), but I agree that the rock piles at Wauneka Point are especially interesting. They're certainly different from any Indian pits that I've seen.

Tom