Silver Star, Little Baldy, Bluff Mtn. Loop, June 12, 2010

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Silver Star, Little Baldy, Bluff Mtn. Loop, June 12, 2010

Post by pablo » June 13th, 2010, 3:55 pm

The first decent day all spring and what better place to go for the big view than an all-encompassing loop across the Silver Star Range. Most of this hike consists of the standard Silver Star South Ridge and Bluff Mtn trails but to complete the loop I did an off trail part with a bushwhack across the south face of Bluff Mountain and a ridge shot to connect to the jeep track coming up from the south to Chimney Rocks. The rest was a (long) road walk back to the South Ridge TH.

Coming up on the South Ridge trail I was fortunate to spot my first bear ever on a hike - very black and about 150 feet up the trail. We regarded each other as to threat status and decided no confrontation required. The bear turned up the hill and ambled off into the brush. You can never get the camera out fast enough to capture these kinds of events.

I like going off trail to follow the ridge to the vision quest pits as the views are always good.

Made the summit after some very wet and melting fast snow on the trail - the summit was standing room only. The air was very clear and views were magnificent on all directions. This pano runs from Goat Rocks on the right to St Helens on the left. I believe the left foreground ridge is the Tatoosh Hills.

This pano is pretty much the rest of the day, Little Baldy, Bluff Mtn and the ridge ride home.

On the Bluff Mtn trail on the approach to Little Baldy, an osprey settled down for a break on a rock outcropping.

On the south face of Little Baldy looking back.

From here I left the trail for a bushwhack across the south face of Bluff Mtn. The original plan was to summit both Little Baldy and Bluff Mtn but I took a pass on these as I could see I was going to be short on time with an unknown bushwhack across the ridge. Bluff Mtn. was not bad and the start of the ridge going south was a nice walk through fields of beargrass and huckleberry bushes punctuated by neat little rock outcroppings that provided more expansive views.

Here's a pano from the south face of Bluff Mtn.

Looking back on Bluff Mtn from the ridge.

A pano from the ridge looking south.

A close up of Hood, I think the ridge on the Oregon side is Yeon Mtn with Tanner Butte on the far left.

The little point on the left is is Three Corner Rock, dead ahead is Table Mtn and just beyond is Defiance on the horizon.

Having committed to the ridge the ever increasing brush started to become a real problem. The misery was down low as the views continued to be good. Here is the ridge and Chimney Rocks.

A couple of the locals stopped by to see what the stupid human was doing what with all the crashing through the brush.

Yeah, well, you have big ears.

By now, the brush was near impenetrable and I was getting a little concerned, about as dense brush as I've ever seen.

The rest of the ridge looked impossible. I'd gone too far to turn back and considered dropping off the ridge into the trees or maybe abandoning the whole thing to downclimb to Skamania Mines Road.

I looked back towards Bluff Mtn. and pondered on the error of my ways.

The brush was bad but the views were great. Getting close to Chimney Rocks.

My fears about the rest of the ridge dissipated when I got lucky by landing on a good ridge line game trail and zipped up the ridge to meet up with the jeep track above Chimney Rocks. Looking back on the day.

From here was an uneventful but very long walk back down to Skamania Mines Road and up the 1200 to return to the trail head.

I wear a Garmin 405 heart rate monitor/GPS when I hike, neat device (I'm a member of the zipper club so I pay attention to this stuff). It has an internal rechargeable battery lasting around 6 hours at most so when the battery goes dead, that's it until a recharge from a USB port. To get a feel for how difficult bushwhacking is I include a graphic from the report generated by the Garmin software. The battery died just after I'd done the worst of the ridge bushwhack. You can see on the graph the most difficult parts of the day were the bushwhacks across Bluff Mtn and in the saddle part of the ridge (see map below).

So I'm going to invent the Bushwhacker 9000 Athletic Trainer - constructed from a treadmill and rotating drums on either side like in a car wash only outfitted with hard plastic tubing that pummels you while you 'hike' on the treadmill. You heard it here first.

Here's the track, around 15-17 miles, approximately 4500' cumulative elevation gain. Great day and while I recommend the Bluff Mtn parts and a ways down the ridge, the section across the saddle of that ridge is not fit for man nor beast.

Last edited by pablo on June 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

retired jerry

Re: Silver Star, Little Baldy, Bluff Mtn. Loop, June 12, 2010

Post by retired jerry » June 13th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Interesting - the bushwacking was what really spiked your heart rate.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 13th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Hey Paul, - Wow - I've got to get that monitor! I'm amazed at your fitness level - I would have been over 150 for much of the trek you described as that's where I am when I get on my Stairmaster and really go for it. You have also satisfied my curiosity as to the route from Bluff to Chimney rocks - I'm not surprised it's as bad as that and glad it was you and not me who sussed the route.

Great photos and nice report too.

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pablo

Post by pablo » June 13th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Hey Paul, - Wow - I've got to get that monitor! I'm amazed at your fitness level - I would have been over 150 for much of the trek you described as that's where I am when I get on my Stairmaster and really go for it. You have also satisfied my curiosity as to the route from Bluff to Chimney rocks - I'm not surprised it's as bad as that and glad it was you and not me who sussed the route.

Great photos and nice report too.

-Don
Don,

Well, I used your Chimney Rocks report for beta, if I didn't have that report I might not have attempted it - is PH a great site or what?

The official designation for the HRM I have is the 405CX

http://www.rei.com/product/787996?cm_mm ... gwod7Wbotw

It works well but the GPS feature really eats up battery power, I could always use another couple of hours. I bought mine from REI but in addition to the 10%, heart rate monitors are eligible for flexible spending account money if your health plan has that benefit. The GPS seems to have the same kind of voodoo as my 60csx as the tracks are always comparable.

I use it to compare various kinds of exercise and so far for me kayaking is the worst and hiking uphill the best

As you know, bushwhacking heavy brush is such a great exercise as it works pretty much every muscle in your body, pushing branches out of the way, high stepping over branches, twisting your body to go between branches, and you have to keep moving to make progress.

--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 13th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Great photos, Paul - especially the panos! That trail shot looking west from Little Baldy belongs in the PH Field Guide. Nice!

(cardiac note: your heart rate spikes slightly as you encounter the mob atop Silver Star, then plummets as you leave the tourists behind... that's what I'd expect....)

:D

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 14th, 2010, 8:36 am

Paul,

Thanks for the link to the monitor. Very neat device! Too bad about the short battery life - my hikes often exceed 6 hours so I wonder if you could get an extra battery and change it without losing data?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

fettster

Post by fettster » June 14th, 2010, 9:25 am

That is definitely a challenging day, especially on a warmer day in the sun. Did you end up filtering any water?

pablo

Post by pablo » June 14th, 2010, 11:43 am

fettster wrote:That is definitely a challenging day, especially on a warmer day in the sun. Did you end up filtering any water?
Had I remembered to have brought my filter bottle I would have but since I left it at home that was not an option. I got lucky and landed on a snow drift by Bluff Mtn that gave me enough melt water to make it across that ridge to the road. I was a bit dehydrated by the time I got back to the trail head.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » June 14th, 2010, 11:47 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Paul,

Thanks for the link to the monitor. Very neat device! Too bad about the short battery life - my hikes often exceed 6 hours so I wonder if you could get an extra battery and change it without losing data?

dn
Battery life is one of the complaints you'll hear about this unit, the battery is sealed in the case so a spare is not possible. The other complaint is the user interface - the ring around the face of the watch is touch sensitive and while the device is fairly waterproof, the touch feature doesn't work well when wet.

--Paul