Ruckel Creek Falls Questions

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Ruckel Creek Falls Questions

Post by Guy » May 24th, 2010, 7:02 pm

So since I hiked down the Ruckel Creek trail this past weekend it made me curious & want to re read the various posts here about the Falls on Ruckel Creek. I must say I'm a bit confused, & I hope someone can put me straight!

Firstly there are 2 falls on the Topo maps are these the ones labeled "Middle" & "Upper" on Brian's Northwest Waterfalls Site?

There are many references to "Lower Ruckel" I'm assuming this is below & different from the 2 mentioned above?

Then there are 2 more Falls at the 2200' level that Chameleon found last year.

This would make a total of 5 is that correct?

And so the next question, would anyone be willing to share with me at what points I should bail off the Ruckel Creek trail if I want to go & see these various falls.

Oh & finally much higher up the trail there is a short spur trail across a talus slope to the creek were there seemed to be a quite tall 2 tier falls that doesn't get a mention anywhere! any reason why?

Thanks in advance..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pyles_94

Re: Ruckel Creek Falls Questions

Post by pyles_94 » May 24th, 2010, 7:14 pm

the few things I can answer to you is that yes, "lower ruckel creek falls" is not on the map, and its below upper and middle, which are the ones on the map. For the lower one, you bail off at the indian pits- its becoming quite a popular place for photographers, and there is a pretty well beaten path from the edge of the talus to the creek.

There is also the photogenic ish lowerest falls under the highway. Its like 30 ft tall, so it definitely deserves mention.
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » May 24th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Here's my take on Ruckel... While there are many interesting water features on the stream, including several smallish drops and even a few beautiful slides that are quite impressive, there are only six features that I consider true waterfalls. They are as follows...

Epiphany falls - the very top waterfall on Ruckel - @65ft

Falls above Upper Ruckel Creek - @30ft

Upper Ruckel Creek - @110ft

Middle Ruckel Creek - @65ft

Mossy Grotto falls (or lower Ruckel) - @20ft

Lowest Ruckel or just "Ruckel Falls" - the one right under the old highway - @30ft

That's my opinion at least. I can certainly respect other's views that there are several more waterfalls - it all just depends on your definition. Beautiful stream with an incredible history!!

-Zach

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 25th, 2010, 4:44 am

So just to clarify... I'm curious if my placement is off on these

chameleon

Post by chameleon » May 25th, 2010, 10:16 am

Wow...very cool map! And yes, your placements look quite accurate. Nice work!

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » May 25th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Lurch,

Looks like you've fallen victim to one of the most popular typoes in our area. It's "Ruckel", not Ruckle. :D The Forest Service has even fouled this one up.

Great work on the maps, though!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 25th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Zach, could you comment on the earlier photo showing the falls just beyond the scree slope (on the upper trail)? Is this one of the falls that you've documented?

Lurch, my understanding is that the second falls is directly below the vision quest pits, so downstream a bit in your view, and in turn, the third falls is a bit downstream from where you've shown it. I haven't been in there, but have following all the reports with a lot of interest!

Tom

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 25th, 2010, 5:32 pm

You know, I've gone back and forth so many times I wasn't sure which was right.. I've actually got the trails labeled Ruckel!

Problem solved now :D Thanks for the fix Steve, and thanks for the waterfall names Chameleon, I didn't have Epiphany or Mossy Grotto on before.

Tom: How much further downstream? It's been a lonngggg time since I've done the Ruckel Creek trail. This look better or am I way off?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 25th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Yep, that looks about right to me, though the third falls (Middle) is probably a bit further downstream. Also, the bushwhack to the second ("Grotto") falls leaves the large cleared area just beyond the next switchback on your map, so a but further up the hill.

Tom

Guy

Post by Guy » May 25th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Ditto those are great maps Lurch.

I too prefer Mossy Grotto to Lower Ruckel. Having Lower Ruckel above Ruckel didn't work & Lowerest Ruckel is hard to say :D !!

Looking at where Epiphany Falls is on the map I'm thinking you can hear it from Ruckel Ridge. We could hear Ruckel Creek quite consistently as we hiked along the ridge but the sound was deffinately louder at roughly the area where you have marked Epiphany Falls.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors