Silver Star's twin falls and the "Chasm"

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Silver Star's twin falls and the "Chasm"

Post by Don Nelsen » July 20th, 2008, 6:17 pm

As I sit here at the computer and write this report I'm reflecting on the day, occasionally picking yet another devil's club thorn out of my arms, swallowing an Advil every now and then and wondering "what was I thinking!" - But let me explain: I decided I needed a slower-paced day since I'm still dealing with a couple of disc problems in my neck. Didn't want to slow anyone down so I went back up to Silver Star alone and took my time seeing if I could find a viable route to the twin falls Pablo reported and Lindsay, Andy, Jamie and I photographed from a distance on 7/6.

I hiked ST from the north ridge on 6/21 and was amazed today at how much snow has melted off in the past month. Also amazing is how much still remains: Here's a comparison shot taken from a viewpoint near Ed's trail on 6/21 and a picture from the same spot taken today, 7/20.

I summitted the main peak and then headed back down to the connector trail to the Chinook Trail. Still huge drifts there but they are discontinuous so there's no chance of losing your way:

Once directly north of the main peak, I left the trail and bushwhacked down the hill to where the map showed a bowl and a meadow. The snow is still four or five feet deep in places with higher drifts and piles here and there. Plenty of runoff to feed the falls for the rest of the summer I'd guess. Unfortunately, the route down the slope is terraced and I had to make a couple of 10-foot jumps onto questionable surfaces. - Of course, both times I took a pretty good jolt so there goes the neck problem again. Well, it can't get any worse, I thought, so I continued into the brush and down to the meadow. The meadow was covered with an incredible depth of snow and, wouldn't you know it - I fell through in one spot and got another major jolt. - No injuries otherwise, but my neck was taking a pounding.

I spotted an incredible slot canyon as I neared the upper edge of the falls and went over to investigate. This thing was a big surprise and most spectacular. My poor photo skills don't do it justice - you will have to see it to believe it, but here's a try at capturing it: I'd say it's about 250 feet down and only 15 or 20 feet wide.

The falls were just a short distance away and it was fairly easy getting to the top of both of them. Elevation is 3,577' for the first and 3,572' for the next. Here's the top of the easternmost falls:
Here is the top of the other:

From there I had to climb through some gnarly slide alder (but I'm getting used to that.) :D I reached the ledge we saw on the 6th and it turned out to be a good route. I downclimbed to 3,524' to a good vantage point and took a few photos. It appears one could continue down the ridge from the "viewpoint" and reach the bottom of the falls but that's a trip for later - I was out of Advil so it was time to head on out.

Now I had to climb this:

I ascended the huge blocks of talus and passed by this huge rock that shows evidence of only recently falling from the cliffs above. Note the matching columns.

Once at the cliff face, I traversed to the right along them and reached Ed's
Trail at the spot where it takes a hard 90 degree turn and climbs a steep gully (those who have hiked Ed's will know the spot!)

The rest of the trip back was uneventful but the flowers were as spectacular as any I've seen anywhere:

Here's a map of the journey:

Just a walk in the park from here on out and boy was I glad to get back to the car and chug a few more Advil!! Still, not a bad day: 5.5 miles, 2,038 vertical feet.

- Don
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 31st, 2008, 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pablo

Re: Silver Star's twin falls and the "Chasm"

Post by pablo » July 20th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Great report Don, great photos, a real special place that I doubt has seen very many people.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 20th, 2008, 11:38 pm

Nice report, Don - and that's a fine photo of the slot canyon, too. The tree really gives it scale... now you just need a log spanning the top that you can shimmy onto for an aerial view..! :D

Lots of snow up there, still - amazing! I can't remember this much snow hanging into late July at such low elevations... maybe in the 70s? Long time, anyway.

Great photos!

-Tom

vienturia

Post by vienturia » July 20th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Great report, Don, I'm glad you were able to get up next to those falls - great shots of the view & wildflowers. Sorry to hear your neck was giving you trouble.
- Lindsay

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 21st, 2008, 6:45 am

Great report Don. I look forward to visiting Silver Star someday. Hope your neck is getting better.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 21st, 2008, 6:51 am

joerunner wrote:Great report Don. I look forward to visiting Silver Star someday. Hope your neck is getting better.
You could hike up from Grouse Vista to Silver Star, then Bluff Mountain Trail to TH and back, then to North TH and back on Ed's trail, then back to Grouse Vista.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 21st, 2008, 7:43 am

retired jerry wrote:
joerunner wrote:Great report Don. I look forward to visiting Silver Star someday. Hope your neck is getting better.
You could hike up from Grouse Vista to Silver Star, then Bluff Mountain Trail to TH and back, then to North TH and back on Ed's trail, then back to Grouse Vista.

Thanks Jerry, I just might do that in a couple weeks.

fettster

Post by fettster » July 21st, 2008, 9:04 am

"Not again." I can just imagine your neck holding on for dear life on this trek. 10-foot drops huh, sounds pretty intense Don. :shock:

That slot canyon is a pretty sweet find. Did you descend down into it? I like the cameo appearance your arm's shadow makes. :) Your efforts seemed to have been really rewarded at least. That meadow of white and yellow looks really inviting.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 21st, 2008, 10:11 am

wooooow! don that falls is amazing! how tall do you estimate the falls to be? that chasm is pretty interesting!
Jamey Pyles

airdrum

Post by airdrum » July 21st, 2008, 10:25 am

Don, awesome definitely a place which must be investigated. I see that without Lindsay and I in tow your preferred way of negotiating the small drops is to simply leap, you crazy man! I really hope the neck gets better. I don't know how you go out and do these things, alone, and stay motivate the whole time while in constant nagging pain. That's some great spirit you have!

So, is it definitely possible to scramble down to the base, or just plausible (based on what you were able to see)? Also, I'm curious as to if there was any exposure on that rock slope leading back to Ed's trail? The shot of the recently fallen boulder makes it look like you were skirting the edge of the entire silver star canyon, hopefully you can assure me it's just a photo effect!

Thanks for the report, let's explore more when the water get flowing well again!
Andy