Dry Creek Spur and a Hidden Lake - Jan 24, 2015

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Dry Creek Spur and a Hidden Lake - Jan 24, 2015

Post by pablo » January 24th, 2015, 11:24 pm

I find it hard to believe that no one has reported on the lake I visited, if there is a report out there let me know and I will rewrite to take that into account. Oh, and if there is no other report then maybe this post should be deleted. That there are still places like this.

The other day I was playing around with my new DeLorme Inreach gadget using results from a recent hike that took me up to the Benson Plateau and the PCT. I happened to view a sample of my track against satellite imagery and at the northeast end of the Benson P this lake shows up. I've never heard of such a thing as a lake up there, have you? USGS has a small lake or pond at the southeast end (doesn't exists as far as I can tell) but nothing in this area. So an expedition was in order. To get there I thought I'd do the Dry Creek Spur route to the Benson and PCT. I've done this route only once before and on that trip I missed the vision quest pits that others have reported on so I had unfinished business.

Dry Creek Spur is an offtrail adventure hike mentioned in Gorge Classic Climbs starting from Dry Creek Falls up one of the gullies to the east of the falls. The first time I did this hike I took the 1st gully to the east but today I went one gully further east to avoid the 3rd class move that made me a little uncomfortable the first time up. A little more vertical to get to the ridge but solid game trail the whole way so for me it was a good choice. Not much brush on this route but plenty steep - pretty much 3000' gained from the falls to the PCT. Much like Rudolph Spur but with better views (when the sun is shining).

I started early in the wet and fog, most everything was socked in. After 3 hours of hiking up Dry Creek Spur the fog and clouds lifted and I was able to get some nice views.

The vision quest pits I'd missed before - towards the end of all the elevation gain.

Views from vision quest pits always seem to have or have had big views (except for that one off Ruckel Creek Trail). The following is from right next door to the VQ pits.

I hit the PCT and there saw a couple of other hikers - I think we were all surprised to see each other as it was getting late, given the short daylight hours, to be at this altitude. Off the PCT were rays of light through the mist.

Didn't take long to get to the cutoff point for the lake. I descended through the clear understory, crossed a short cliff band and saw a flash of water below. So there was indeed a lake and there I was.

No fire rings, no sign of cut logs, some nice areas for camping but never any campers. Pristine, untouched. Much like Dublin Lake only never any visitors - about the same size. Clear, cold, and a small film of ice at one end. Water running through the outlet, I stopped and drank. A rocky slope for the west bank.

The mouth of the lake.

The north bank looking toward the rocky slope I took to return to the PCT.

On the exit looking up-slope.

I returned up the rocky slope and was treated to some big views to the south.

Hood and Chinidere.

Tomlike, Hood, Chinidere.

Sun sets early in winter even when it feels like spring.

I'm calling it 11 miles, 4400' cumulative elevation gain.

This was a bike and hike - I parked the big rig next to the sign at the Herman Creek FS Work Center then rode my ebike over to Cascade Locks and locked it to the bike staple under Bridge of the Gods.

The 'Silver Streak' - my ride from Herman Creek to Cascade Locks to start this journey.

Last edited by pablo on May 8th, 2015, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

VanMarmot

Re: Dry Creek Spur and a Hidden Lake - Jan 24, 2015

Post by VanMarmot » January 25th, 2015, 8:22 am

A "new" lake. :) If anyone could find something new in the Gorge, it would be you or Don. And an e-bike - brilliant!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 25th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Nice job - a decent sized lake and no name yet? Pablo's Lake? Nice job finding that! Now I've to go and check it out, too.

Good seeing you today and hope you liked the Stairway Trail on the way back down to the TH.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 25th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Wow, what a great find Pablo!

Nice bike, be careful though, I've seen first hand how fast a battery operated cut off saw will whizz right
through those locks like you're using :?

pablo

Post by pablo » January 25th, 2015, 7:41 pm

VanMarmot wrote:A "new" lake. :) If anyone could find something new in the Gorge, it would be you or Don. And an e-bike - brilliant!
Thx,

The ebike works nicely for bike n hikes especially when the bike ride comes after the hike and there are hills to climb.
--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » January 25th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Nice job - a decent sized lake and no name yet? Pablo's Lake? Nice job finding that! Now I've to go and check it out, too.
Good seeing you today and hope you liked the Stairway Trail on the way back down to the TH.
dn
Something prosaic like 'Benson Lake' would work. If you go up there, get a photo from the rocky west side, I did not and I think a photo from there would look really neat.

Nice to see you and meet Ardith, Jeff and the rest of your crew today. The network of trails up there has really improved the past couple of years. The Stairway Trail is very nice and is going to be a regular route for me when I'm looking to get up there fast. Thx for posting that map of the area, very useful.
EP wrote: Wow, what a great find Pablo!
Nice bike, be careful though, I've seen first hand how fast a battery operated cut off saw will whizz right
through those locks like you're using :?
Hey Eric,

Turns out that another PH hiking maven has been there but made the decision not to report on it.

The staple under BotG seems to me to be a pretty safe spot - but I hear you on the ease with which handheld power equipment can take care of a bike lock - this particular staple is bolted to the concrete so only a good sized wrench is needed to free the bike no matter what lock is used. I like the bike rack in front of Multnomah Lodge also.

--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 25th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Very cool, Paul! And on your opening comment, I think in the day of GE and Lidar it's going to be virtually impossible for "undiscovered" places to remain much of a secret, so I don't see a problem with posting it here. It's also a stiff enough climb that yahoos carrying Coleman stoves and coolers full of Coors Light are unlikely to make the trek... ;)

Thanks for posting - great read!

Tom :)

pablo

Post by pablo » January 25th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Splintercat wrote:Very cool, Paul! And on your opening comment, I think in the day of GE and Lidar it's going to be virtually impossible for "undiscovered" places to remain much of a secret, so I don't see a problem with posting it here. It's also a stiff enough climb that yahoos carrying Coleman stoves and coolers full of Coors Light are unlikely to make the trek... ;)

Thanks for posting - great read!

Tom :)
Thx Tom,

I am conflicted between disclosure and discretion.

--Paul

Guy

Post by Guy » January 26th, 2015, 8:22 pm

El Lago de Pablo

Great find Paul, well done. I've downloaded the map just in case your conflicted feelings get the better of you ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 26th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Pablo's Pond is pretty catchy... I'll be marking it on my map like that ;)