Primrose Path to Devil's Rest

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
wsevert

Primrose Path to Devil's Rest

Post by wsevert » December 21st, 2014, 7:52 pm

Primrose Path: a course of action that is easy or tempting but hazardous.....

I hadn't been on the Primrose Path since August so thought I'd head up there to check on the condition of the trail and to do a gnome inventory. The Angel's Rest trail was muddier than last winter with lots of that thick, oozy, peanut butter consistency mud that adds about 10 lbs to your load with each step.

I missed the bottom of the Primrose Path on my first pass but fortunately I was carrying a copy of Jeff's (aircooled) GPX track and had only gone a 100 yards or so past it before recognizing my mistake.
The Primrose, for those who haven't taken it, is a VERY steep path that is closer to a scramble at times than it is to a hike. It might be considered a shortcut as it's only 0.8 miles long but there is a reason it was named the Primrose Path. As there were so many leaves and branches down I thought at times I had lost the trail. The next five pics are of the Primrose Path itself.

I don't remember this sign being there the last time.

No summit, even Devil's Rest, can be conquered without at least one selfie being taken (although a young friend of mine tells me that technically, a selfie has to be taken with the camera in hand rather than using a timer. she also points out that I'm too old to even say the word selfie out loud, much less take one properly.)
As you can see from the photos below, something has happened to most of the gnomes that lived under the rocks at Devil's Rest although there was a new denizen I hadn't met before.

I ran into a couple very nice people on the trail that I regretted not taking a picture of. First I met Chip, a 19-year old going to school at OSU who kept referring to me as a veteran rather than an old guy. We had a nice discussion about air inversions and whether it was hot air trapping cooler air underneath or cooler air above trapping the warmer air underneath. In either case, we agreed it was quite spectacular to be on the mountain looking down at the fog!

Then I met Ben and his son Cedar who had the biggest blue eyes I've seen this year! What a treat to see someone being introduced to the forest at such a young age!

I always take a break at this trail intersection and I rarely pass this spot without taking yet another photo of the sign.
Wakheena Springs is probably my favorite watering hole in the area so I relaxed there for a bit before heading on back down the trail.

Happy Trails!
Severt

https://www.facebook.com/wsevert

wsevert

Re: Primrose Path to Devil's Rest

Post by wsevert » December 21st, 2014, 8:11 pm

Guy

Post by Guy » December 22nd, 2014, 6:36 am

Good to see that the Primrose trail is coming back to life!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Ron Goodwin

Post by Ron Goodwin » December 22nd, 2014, 10:43 am

Before the '91 fire we did plant a couple primroses at the junction off the Angels Rest trail where the older fellow used to do it for years (a small flat spot is still there). After the fire so many maple trees fell across, we stopped using the Primrose and do cut back vegetation on the Foxglove each year. That primrose sign looks different from others in the area. Glad that the Devils Rest sign is still there as the last replacement was torn down in a months time. The old one is hard to read but has stayed since '93. The only other sign that keeps being removed is the one at the junction just 100' below Devils Rest. It (fourth one) went up higher this fall so hopefully it stays so people do not get confused on where the Foxglove starts (non-FS maintained trail). The pumpkin did not last so long this year at the top.
Attachments
10-29-14 02A DEVILS REST.jpg

CraigG

Post by CraigG » December 22nd, 2014, 11:16 am

Nice route, especially for this time of year. I have to get myself up on this path. Well done!

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » December 22nd, 2014, 11:40 am

Lovely hike! I really like your "selfie" :D
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » December 22nd, 2014, 1:38 pm

Great photos and report, Severt! It was nice to meet you and have the opportunity to cross paths. Looks like a Primrose Path trip is in order!

My son and I had a good hike and were able to watch the sunset from Angels Rest. Hadn't been on that trail in a few years and it sure was muddy in places! Still, I forget about this trail due to its (justifiable) popularity.

airoff

Post by airoff » December 22nd, 2014, 2:41 pm

Well done Severt, nice to see a report from you! I was up there Friday; perhaps this young lady scared off the gnomes...

14192883178490.jpg

wsevert

Post by wsevert » December 23rd, 2014, 8:53 pm

airoff wrote:Well done Severt, nice to see a report from you! I was up there Friday; perhaps this young lady scared off the gnomes...

Hey Aaron, I remember thinking the same thing when I saw her. She's a fairly new addition up there and probably figured she needed to intervene in all the wanton paganism happening in those parts.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » December 24th, 2014, 8:56 am

Thanks for the report. I was up that way recently and wondering about the primrose path. Too bad about the gnomes. I'm glad I got to see them once. Perhaps there will be a resurgence in the spring? One can only hope :D
Woodswalker