Nesmith Ridge – ready for winter workout

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
[email protected]

Nesmith Ridge – ready for winter workout

Post by [email protected] » October 22nd, 2014, 5:00 pm

This week did a quick hike up Nesmith Ridge (good trail starts by log at Upper McCord Creek) and was surprised at how great shape the use –trail is in. Lots of good work has been done recently including some better switchbacks through the very steep section above 2,000ft. Nice work folks. This is a great winter work-out because you can go up a very steep ridge (usually doesn’t have ice/snow) and end-up at 2700ft where it junctions with the main Nesmith Point Trail. (#428) and then descend back to your car instead of postholing up to Nesmith Point.

So, the ridge trail has seen some good work but not so for the ‘official’ Nesmith Point Trail – it is in a state of disregard (and don’t tell me we have budget problems). [beginning of rant] The Forest Service can’t even find money to put up signage at the 400 trail showing the way to Elowah and McCord - why not, they can spend tons of money chasing stupid ideas of organizations paying $1500 to permit photographing the wilderness but not a penny for good signage. Not a penny for trail work. I’m talking about trail work funded by our taxes – not that of non-profit and volunteer groups. I don’t think the USFS has touched the Nesmith Point Trail for 6-8 years and it shows. The upper bank needs to be cut-back to the original tread, the growth needs to be severely cut back almost the whole of the trail and some rerouting is in order. But why not – if the powers that be in the Scenic Area were doing their job – they would be organizing pressure to get funding to get this done not sitting on their excuses that they have no money. The USFS is doing not only a disservice to the public but to the history of their predecessors who built this trail. [end rant] Go see for yourself and tell the Forest Service what you think they should do.

Don Nelsen

Re: Nesmith Ridge – ready for winter workout

Post by Don Nelsen » October 22nd, 2014, 5:46 pm

[email protected] wrote:This week did a quick hike up Nesmith Ridge (good trail starts by log at Upper McCord Creek) and was surprised at how great shape the use –trail is in. Lots of good work has been done recently including some better switchbacks through the very steep section above 2,000ft. Nice work folks. This is a great winter work-out because you can go up a very steep ridge (usually doesn’t have ice/snow) and end-up at 2700ft where it junctions with the main Nesmith Point Trail. (#428) and then descend back to your car instead of postholing up to Nesmith Point.

So, the ridge trail has seen some good work but not so for the ‘official’ Nesmith Point Trail – it is in a state of disregard (and don’t tell me we have budget problems). [beginning of rant] The Forest Service can’t even find money to put up signage at the 400 trail showing the way to Elowah and McCord - why not, they can spend tons of money chasing stupid ideas of organizations paying $1500 to permit photographing the wilderness but not a penny for good signage. Not a penny for trail work. I’m talking about trail work funded by our taxes – not that of non-profit and volunteer groups. I don’t think the USFS has touched the Nesmith Point Trail for 6-8 years and it shows. The upper bank needs to be cut-back to the original tread, the growth needs to be severely cut back almost the whole of the trail and some rerouting is in order. But why not – if the powers that be in the Scenic Area were doing their job – they would be organizing pressure to get funding to get this done not sitting on their excuses that they have no money. The USFS is doing not only a disservice to the public but to the history of their predecessors who built this trail. [end rant] Go see for yourself and tell the Forest Service what you think they should do.
Good rant, Tom - well said. I'll go check the trail out myself - I need a good workout
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

RobinB

Re: Nesmith Ridge – ready for winter workout

Post by RobinB » October 24th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Oh cool - I didn't realize there was a trail up that ridge. I'll have to give it a go!

And agreed on the rant. I noticed a little while ago how rough Ruckel Creek is looking...