Backcountry threesome-Maggie, Minnie and the Goddess of Love

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Peder

Backcountry threesome-Maggie, Minnie and the Goddess of Love

Post by Peder » September 21st, 2014, 5:43 am

Opening picture - Karl though it was good, so it must be above my usual photographic efforts.

Firstly, a thank you to Adam for coining the post subject. With such an enticing Trip Report title I expect to easily pass the 1 million views! As stated in the title, I had the pleasure of visiting Mt Venus and Mt Minnie in Mt Margaret Backcountry (just north of Mt St Helens) in the course of two hikes. As my trip report comes a little after the event, the risk of huckleberry poisoning should hopefully be greatly reduced for anybody who follows our footsteps. Our hands were stained dark purple from the berries and our speed reduced to a crawl due to incessant berry picking and munching... I am confident that our hiking times would have been in the single digits without this berry orgy.

I had 15 days back in Oregon at the beginning of September; this rather defines one’s choice of hikes: Classics such as Nesmith Point or Mt Defiance were not even considered. I planned two real hikes: One to Mt Minnie and one to Mt Venus. The remainder was some small family hikes.

Mt Venus and Mt Whittier
This hike took place sooner than expected, as Karl placed a lonely heart on PH looking for a hiking partner for Labor Day. I managed to convince Karl to change his plans (my apologies go out to the snubbed party :oops: ) and we set out from Norway Pass trail head at 9.00 am in delightful weather. The pictures will do the rest of the talking.

Karl taking the classic image from Norway Pass

This is why I am writing the TR! Karl told me to kiss this beast and then he would use the picture as the opening picture of his TR. I refused, not because of any inhibitions, but knowing that when the princess materialized in her 6" heels we would have a major rescue on our hands! Princesses cannot walk 6 miles in 6" heels in the backcountry...

Obscurity Lake [Photo by Karl]

Soon huckleberries made their appearance and soon our hands were dark purple. This is very early in the proceedings. [Photo by Karl]

We left the Lakes Trail and headed for Mt Venus following elk trails to the best of our ability.

I could be on an elk trail, but it looks more as if I am trying to get another gallon of huckleberries into my belly. Those berries were super delicious! :D [Photo by Karl]

Venus Lake - we went up on the right and subsequently followed the skyline (or its eastern flank) all the way to Pleasant Pass

Lower Venus Lake and Venus Lake. [Photo by Karl]

Occasionally the terrain was a bit stepper, but when elk can manage the slope we should also be fine.

Venus Lake

Leaving the summit. The leftmost arrow shows how we arrived at Venus Lake. The other arrows show our continuation to Mt Whittier (W). The other summits are Mt Tomroy (TR), Mt Margaret (M), the Dome (D) and Mt St Helens (MSH). [Photo by Karl]

Heading toward Pleasant Pass. [Photo by Karl]

Occasionally the elk go through some real vegetation.

The background shows why we did not follow the ridge line!

We are now established on the north ridge of Mt Whittier and can look back on our route. The broad saddle in the middle of the picture is Pleasant Pass. [Photo by Karl]

For somebody who is a touch acrophobic, Karl managed like a pro!

During our traverse of Mt Whittier we met about 20 mountain goats in a series of encounters. [Photo by Karl]

Within a few feet of the summit of Mt Whittier. [Photo by Karl]

Commencing our descent, this man made ledge is within a few hundred feet of the summit.

I love the fuzzy tail and the two hind legs of this young one!

Spot Karl!

The latter part of the ridge. [Photo by Karl]

Sunset over Mt Minnie; we still had a few miles to go.

Moonshine over Spirit Lake from Norway Pass. [Photo by Karl - there is really no need to write that Karl took this picture!!!]

We got back to the trail head at 9.45 pm but still had time to visit the miner's car. It seems to have been vandalized since I was last there. :cry: [Photo by Karl]

Stats: 15 lbs of huckleberries eaten; 18 miles; 5,800’ E.G.; and 12h45m

Mt Minnie
My two earlier visits to Mt Minnie both failed to reach the north end of the mountain, the first time as I got tired of bushwhacking and went elk stalking instead and the second time we were thwarted by unexpected fog. This time I enlisted Don and again I/we had a wonderful time, here are some pictures:

Mt Minnie from the trail head. I was very pleased to be with Don in an area that I knew better that him! It has always been the opposite on our previous hikes.

On the Lakes Trail [Photo by Don]

Don at Snow Lake where we leave the Lakes Trail; Pleasant Pass is in the center of the background.

We hit huckleberries and stopped hiking for the remainder of the day. This explains our ridiculously long time taken on the hike! The berries are rated well above "superb"!

Don heading past the eastern Twin Lake for the next patch of huckleberries; Mt Minnie in the background.

The "road" that traverses the NE flank of Mt Minnie is just above Don's hat.

The summit in view; parts of Don can be seen in the bottom left of the photo.

Don "collects" peaks and needs adequate evidence that he touched the highest point.

Our approach was from Snow Lake just below Pleasant Pass (P) and between the Twin Lakes (T). Mt Venus (V), Mt Whittier (W), Mt Adams (A), Mt Tomroy (TR), Mt Margaret (M) and the Dome (D) are also labelled. The Venus-Whittier traverse end in the pass just left of Mt Tomroy.

We are parked at the far end of Coldwater Lake.

Leaving the summit of Mt Minnie (the one in the background) for the descent ridge.

Top left our approach past the Twin Lakes (T). Our descent past the Heart Lake (H) is marked. [Photo by Don]

The descent toward the Balcony Lake.

We saw about 20 elk during the hike and one suicide deer on our drive back that Don thankfully avoided. [Photo by Don]

Back close to the trail head. Mt Minnie on the left and Coldwater Peak on the right. We were back at the car at sunset. We would have been there much earlier, except that I turned down Don's suggestion that we run 8 minute miles on the return hike!

Stats: 15 lbs of huckleberries eaten; 21 miles; 5,300’ E.G.; and 11h30m

Two hikes of the kind I love with wonderful hiking partners that I consider good friends. I am still thrilled to have completed these two hikes. Those were my hiking goals for 2014!
Last edited by Peder on September 21st, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Re: Backcountry threesome-Maggie, Minnie and the Goddess of

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2014, 5:51 am

How interesting

Peder wearing a shirt with the evolution from chimp, to human, to "like" symbol? :)

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » September 21st, 2014, 6:22 am

What an adventure! Your trip report is confirming and damning evidence that I need to check out MSH.

Plus I like huckleberries.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » September 21st, 2014, 3:15 pm

Excellent choice of destinations, Peder, and good to see a local TR from you again! (I was getting soooo tired of all those Kyrgyzstan reports ;)) Also, two TRs in one post; very efficient of you!

What an enticing loop to make out of Whittier and Venus. I'll need to keep that one in mind. Did you get a good look at the craggy east ridge of Venus? I would love to somehow make a loop out of that. Glad you and Karl were both able to go and he was able to experience the wonders of Whittier and the storied huckleberries of satiation! What a turning of the tables to know about an area more than DN! Hope he got bit by the Mt. Margaret Backcountry bug. I'd still like to try that route up to Minnie, being that it's the only "legal" way up, albeit less scrambly.

Thanks for the good, humorous read!

P.S. That high chair you gave me last winter is getting lots of use. Thank you for that!

Peder

Post by Peder » September 21st, 2014, 7:55 pm

Jerry - Yes, it is the prototype PH "like button" T-shirt!

BB - You must have the best avatar!
acorn woodpecker wrote:Did you get a good look at the craggy east ridge of Venus?
It was actually our plan to pass east of the Lower Venus Lake and come up the E/NE ridge. It looks straightforward to me. We only came up between the lakes because that was where the elk trails led us.

Do say when you need a second chair!

Finally, I forgot to post Don's superb map for Mt Minnie in my original TR:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 22nd, 2014, 5:16 am

Peder, what a joy to come down off the mountain yesterday and find this report up! Well, nothing even close to the joy of being shown the wonders of Whittier that day a couple weeks ago. Without hesitation, one of the most memorable hikes I've ever been on. The entire Lakes trail was sublime, and the elk-chasing Venusian bushwhack was a most awesome adventure leading up to the grand finale of sheer terror and uber exhilaration wrapped into a two mile-long brush with death. :lol:

When I show folks photos from up there, their eyes just bug out and I hear mumblings about Middle Earth. And that shot you opened with started more than one discussion of whether it was of Saruman or Gandalf! :lol: (Which was possibly the final kick to go get a haircut last Friday. ;)) Great summary of a great day! Thank you!!! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 22nd, 2014, 10:49 am

Love the trip report. Um, isn't the "beast" supposed to turn into a prince, therefore no need to concern yourself with six inch heels, although there may be some other complications.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:12 pm

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 23rd, 2014, 10:35 am

Peder,

Thanks for the excellent and entertaining TR and of course, thanks again for the wonderful company and inviting me along on this hike! I was amazed at how interesting and varied was the terrain north of Mt. St. Helens and will be spending much more time up there. Looking forward to your safe return from the wilds of central Asia.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 23rd, 2014, 8:10 pm

Peder,

Glad that you made good use of your limited time while here!

A little jealous that you did that loop of Minnie. Guess there is always next year for me to try it again.

This picture of Minnie from the Venus ridge shows your route really well. Heart Lake in the saddle & Twin Lakes in the open meadow, with the road visible across the face.
080-Minnie Pk.JPG
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"