A loop around the upper Chambers Lakes - 3 Sisters Wildernes

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

A loop around the upper Chambers Lakes - 3 Sisters Wildernes

Post by Don Nelsen » August 16th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I’ve wanted to explore the NE side of the South Sister ever since looking down from the summit at the pristine tarns and remnants of retreating glaciers. Yesterday I finally took the time to get it done.

I started at the Green Lakes TH off the Cascades Lakes Highway and reached the lakes in under two hours. From there, I headed out on the climber’s trail toward the South Sister and soon went off-trail going more or less due north.

The sky started to clear about two hours into the hike:

The sketchy bridge over the outlet stream leading to the climber’s trail.

The NE side of the South Sister:

The view looking back toward Broken Top:

As I crested a moraine ridge at 8,000 feet I finally got a view of the Middle and North Sisters:

From the previous spot, I also got a good view of the summit of the South Sister:

Lots of interesting rocky outcrops - lots more up there, too:

Carver Lake, elev. 7,822':

South Sister from Carver Lake:

The rest of the upper lakes:

The views just kept coming:

A Bowling Alley as I approached the rest of the lakes:

This was difficult to get past!:

From the saddle between the S. and the M. Sister, I made as much of a beeline as I could to return to the trail system. The views never stopped:

21.4 miles, 4,300 vertical, 11 1/2 hours. The north half of the map:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Re: A loop around the upper Chambers Lakes - 3 Sisters Wilde

Post by Guy » August 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Excellent trip Don! Thanks for the Photos & Map, we hiked up to the high point on Chambers Lakes last week but didn't get to Carver Lake.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 16th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I remember you said you did that many years ago

What do you think about going above Carver Lake? I did that last summer and swore to not repeat it.

Except I went to left of "bowling alley" directly to the pass, over Carver Glacier.

And I walked much closer to Carver Lake which was a mistake.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 17th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Guy wrote:Excellent trip Don! Thanks for the Photos & Map, we hiked up to the high point on Chambers Lakes last week but didn't get to Carver Lake.
Guy, thanks for the kind comments! Carver lake is kind of a bust since its so muddy - you didn't miss much. Funny thing, too, since the inlet streams looked to be crystal clear.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 17th, 2014, 5:38 pm

retired jerry wrote:I remember you said you did that many years ago

What do you think about going above Carver Lake? I did that last summer and swore to not repeat it.

Except I went to left of "bowling alley" directly to the pass, over Carver Glacier.

And I walked much closer to Carver Lake which was a mistake.
Jerry, yes, I did a hike through there in Sept. of '79 but the route was much lower elevation and we just skirted the middle lakes on the downhill side. This time I was a little above Carver lake but only a hundred feet or so. Real tough terrain - I will do it again but the route will be below Carver. Crossing Carver Glacier must have been even harder than the way I went. I don't think I want to try that! The snow fields by those lakes are dangerous - one slip and in you go.

dn

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 17th, 2014, 6:58 pm

actually, Carver Glacier was easy, just a snow field that wasn't very steep. I went up the other direction and it was easy up to there

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 18th, 2014, 11:51 am

Fantastic!!
The 3 Sisters/Broken Top area is magnificent.
Loved the TR, thanks for posting it :P

raven

Post by raven » August 18th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Carver Lake is interesting:

Hydrologic hazards along Squaw Creek from a hypothetical failure of the glacial moraine impounding Carver Lake near Sisters, Oregon
1987, Laenen, Antonius; Scott, K. M.; Costa, J. E.; Orzol, L. L.
USGS Open-File Report: 87-41
http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr8741

Sisters got all worked up. There was talk of draining Carver Lake partly and removing or revising the moraine dam -- possibly as much to set a precedent about wilderness as to deal with a real risk -- but the wilderness status prevailed. (Sisters does have an emergency plan ready.)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 21st, 2014, 6:29 pm

raven wrote:Carver Lake is interesting:

Hydrologic hazards along Squaw Creek from a hypothetical failure of the glacial moraine impounding Carver Lake near Sisters, Oregon
1987, Laenen, Antonius; Scott, K. M.; Costa, J. E.; Orzol, L. L.
USGS Open-File Report: 87-41
http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr8741

Sisters got all worked up. There was talk of draining Carver Lake partly and removing or revising the moraine dam -- possibly as much to set a precedent about wilderness as to deal with a real risk -- but the wilderness status prevailed. (Sisters does have an emergency plan ready.)
Raven - Wow! Amazing that Carver Lake is so deep and may pose a hazard. Thanks for posting the link to the report.

dn