M C Escher Staircase to the Buick

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Buddy

M C Escher Staircase to the Buick

Post by Buddy » July 28th, 2014, 12:56 am

The cat just woke me - those creatures are just despicable. :evil: Anyhow, my human's tablet is available for my use now.

One of my humans was becoming a major concern in the living room, though right now she is sleeping off her soreness in her bedroom. Due to her immobility and the heat, she, her tablet and the couch were fusing into one big glob. Yesterday, I forced her out on a hike close to our house. The map of the hike can be seen below:
We did a figure of eight hike on the staircases.

In summer I cannot capture the M C Escher Staircase to its full effect with my Lab-cam:

The M C Escher Staircase is more visible in winter:

I am delighted that the cat’s tombstone has been turned over, so that it now points to a “Viewpoint.” I can only say that a dead cat is a good cat! :D :D

M C Escher has not gotten to this staircase yet!

Multnomah Lodge:

Columbia River with Multnomah Falls on the right:

Some tourists were spotted in their natural habitat:

My human crossing the Multnomah Creek - I just swam across, that is both cooling and fun.

Coming up to the Elevator (Shaft):

Business is good at Multnomah Lodge judging by all the cars:

The turkey vultures were swarming and wanted to carry me off, so we quickly continued upward:

The hanging meadows:

My human driving the Buick, she had her hands in the 10-and-2 position until I reminded her about the airbag. The she moved her hands to the correct 8-and-4 position. Occasionally, even an old human can learn new tricks!

We passed by the Christmas trail, but I was unable to find the “snow” button to switch on the white stuff and make it appropriately seasonal:

The Forest Service has no idea that the majority of hikers are dogs, deer and elk. Whoever put up that sign was amazingly ignorant - I assume that it was a human - they are frequently that way.

Multnomah Falls:

If you saw a dog on that rock yesterday, it was me - unless the dog was black, then it would have been Pepper taking his human for some fresh air:
TFF and a wagging tail is what life is about. Underwater rocks are found in Heaven.

retired jerry

Re: M C Escher Staircase to the Buick

Post by retired jerry » July 28th, 2014, 5:12 am

Nice buddy!

My despicable cat wakes me up to feed it. Except usually there's a closed door between it and me which allows me to sleep in..

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 28th, 2014, 6:01 am

Did you guys cross the Peder log jam and head more or less up from there to the 'meadow ridge'?

The TR mentions the elevator shaft is why I'm asking...

Limey

Post by Limey » July 28th, 2014, 7:58 am

Oh Buddy, I commiserate with you. I too have a despicable cat. He wakes me up by the delightful method of inserting claws in scalp and pulling. Really great report but I'm a little perturbed by the fact that you take better pictures than me. Keep on wagging.

Buddy

Post by Buddy » July 28th, 2014, 9:37 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Did you guys cross the Peder log jam and head more or less up from there to the 'meadow ridge'?
You must be human! What a stupid question! I posted a map and you cannot read it? The answer is YES Mr. Gorge Mapset! :roll:
TFF and a wagging tail is what life is about. Underwater rocks are found in Heaven.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 28th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Did you guys cross the Peder log jam
Cool - I get a feature named after me. I wish it was something more permanent than a log jam, so that all the signs in the Gorge could say "Peder Log Jam 12.3 miles or whatever"!

Congratulations to Buddy on leading such a great hike! My commiseration to cat owners who get woken at night or (worse :shock: ) get scalped by their cats; thankfully cats do not hike, so whenever you are out hiking you are away from those dear pets.
Last edited by Peder on July 30th, 2014, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

airoff

Post by airoff » July 29th, 2014, 5:30 am

Hilarious; that's exactly how I describe that staircase. When anyone asks what the trail is like, I tell them, "it's like an MC Escher painting in there".

Not to raise Buddy's ire, but as EP alluded to, I don't think you took Elevator Shaft. :o

Creative loop!

Buddy

Post by Buddy » July 29th, 2014, 7:38 pm

airoff wrote:Not to raise Buddy's ire, but as EP alluded to, I don't think you took Elevator Shaft. :o
I do mind silly questions, such as EP being incapable of reading the map I post :roll:, reasonable inquiries are fine. I do not like the Elevator Shaft, as the rocks are unpleasant for my paws. Instead I go 200 yards upstream from the upper Multnomah Falls viewing platform, cross the creek and go up to the ridge on the east side of the stream. Then I follow this ridge south, passing the hanging meadows and come to the saddle where the Elevator Shaft ends.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 30th, 2014, 6:12 am

:lol: EP kept looking for the posted map too!

Peder Log Jam! 8-) note to self, add PLJ to next crapset update...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 30th, 2014, 9:12 am

Eric Peterson wrote: :lol: EP kept looking for the posted map too!
Well, duh! Very first image in the TR! ;)
Buddy wrote:
We did a figure of eight hike on the staircases.
Good boy, Buddy! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...