Lindsey Creek Falls (2008 vs 2014)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Lindsey Creek Falls (2008 vs 2014)

Post by Splintercat » May 4th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Visited a few off-trail (but well-known) waterfalls yesterday in the Starvation Creek area, and was really surprised how much debris had come down in the six years since I'd done a similar trip in 2008. I think most of this is from the freezing fog event from two years ago that crashed a LOT of trees on NE and east-facing slopes in the east Gorge, but there seemed to be a fair amount of stuff down from this winter, too.

The part I thought I'd mention is Lindsey Creek Falls. It's real gem, but what had almost become a boot path to the falls is now much, much choppier, with a lot of downfall and debris to negotiate. And if you're a photographer, you'll also be frustrated when you see how much debris is still choking the splash pool and the area around the falls. I noticed that Scott Cook has dropped this trip from his latest Curious Gorge edition (perhaps because this hike contained gluten?), and I salute Scott on that -- the area around the falls can't really handle that much traffic, anyway, and with the lingering downfall, this one is worth saving for a few years, especially if you're after photos.

Here are a couple of photos that show the differences -- note that even the brink of the falls has debris, and thus has less drama than the 2008 image:

The same goes for other falls in the area, including Wonder Creek -- very messy up there, despite the boot path along the Defiance Trail that suggests otherwise. I'm purposely not posting photos of Wonder Creek, as it really needs to drop off the waterfall hunters' radar for a few years, at least until the boot path (more accurately, controlled slide) can be decommissioned.

Nonetheless, a terrific trip -- and great to see waterfall prime-time in the Gorge upon us, once again!

Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Re: Lindsey Creek Falls (2008 vs 2014)

Post by BrianEdwards » May 4th, 2014, 6:18 pm

More windfalls and more foliage. Punch bowl now has another log too
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 4th, 2014, 7:19 pm

I think that dropped in directly from above and to the right, Brian -- you can see the raw spot on the cliff. Ditto for the trees that fell into the gorge above the falls. Just Mother Nature doing her thing..! :)

BTW, the huge pile of debris that blew down Summit Creek a couple years ago (now piled below the trail) started on the cliffs just to the east of the upper tier -- LOTS of big trees and debris down there, though you can see that most of it swept right down and over the lower tier. Must have been spectacular... though I guess I don't want to actually BE there when this sort of thing happens... :shock: :lol:

Tom :)

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » May 7th, 2014, 6:49 pm

@Splintercat, thanks for posting. I certainly respect you witholding the Wonder Creek Falls photos, but you have left me curious.

Though humans are darned effective despoilers of nature's beauty, this is a good reminder to me that nature is as much her own destroyer as creator. And will endure long after our species has evolved off this orb.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » May 13th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Nice Tom... Lindsey and Wonder are two falls I haven't been to yet. Those two have always been on the back burner and always seemed to be left out of our plans. Maybe I'll wait till the next big downpour clears them out. Thanks for sharing :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group