Snag Creek Falls, WA 1-24-2014

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rustygoat

Snag Creek Falls, WA 1-24-2014

Post by Rustygoat » February 2nd, 2014, 6:50 pm

Another awesome winter day with sun and cold temperatures. Melinda and I headed back to Washington north of Stevenson for another waterfall adventure. Today’s choice was Snag Creek Falls. Snag Creek is a tributary off of Rock Creek. On the way up we passed Steep Creek Falls; nice flow today.
IMG_7609.JPG
We drove as far as we could with the roads being burmed up, then we had to hike through a clear-cut to get to Snag Creek.
IMG_7613.JPG
Once into the woods we ran across quite a bit of blowdown. The going was slow for most of the way.
IMG_7615.JPG
As we approached the creek I was hoping the brush would thin out… but no luck. I'm in this picture....see me through the brush?
IMG_7619.JPG
Finally after some serious bushwhacking, Snag Creek Falls was in view. The falls appeared to be nice, but there seemed to be more than we could see.
IMG_7627.JPG
I scrambled up a steep slope to a really nice viewpoint across from the falls. Snag Creek Falls was a nice surprise as it ended up being the largest falls we have seen in the Rock Creek Watershed.
IMG_7655.JPG
DSC06514.JPG
Snag Creek Falls at about 150ft tall. The sun wasn’t our friend today for pictures.
DSC06521.jpg
Not wanting to do the extreme bushwhack back to our car we climbed the steep hillside to the south towards the ridge.
IMG_7700.JPG
Glad we came up here as we got a great view of the canyon. Three Corner Rock in the distance poking out of the clouds.
IMG_7706.JPG
From the ridge looking back at the falls, we could still see parts of Snag Creek Falls through the trees.
IMG_7718.JPG
It is really amazing that this giant waterfall is so close to two trails; the Pacific Crest Trail and Snag Creek Trail. Would have been really nice if there was a spur trail to this waterfall. Red was our bushwhack up and yellow was our trek down.
snag creek creek falls.jpg
Made it back before dark. Another fun day out chasing waterfalls.
IMG_7742.JPG
Last edited by Rustygoat on February 3rd, 2014, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

BrianEdwards

Re: Snag Creek Falls, WA 1-24-2014

Post by BrianEdwards » February 2nd, 2014, 8:54 pm

Wow, that's a nice one! I thought I had seen a photo of it before, but seeing your photos, I don't think I have. Sweet hike!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » February 3rd, 2014, 2:39 am

Thanks Brian, with the lack of info I was able to find about this waterfall I wasn't expecting much. This is one of those narrow canyons that even GE doesn't do justice. Snag Creek Falls definitely was a big surprise. :mrgreen:
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

merelunacy

Post by merelunacy » February 4th, 2014, 5:57 am

It's too bad the sun was blasting it out.