More Lost Trails in the Gorge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
aircooled

More Lost Trails in the Gorge

Post by aircooled » December 28th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Exploring a few old logging roads last weekend whet my appetite for more, so back I went - and brought a few friends. :) We drove up Palmer Mill Road from the Angel's rest parking area and parked on a pulloff near the junction with Brower Road. From there we hiked Palmer Mill until we came to an old brown gate, where we followed an old road. (I've been told some of these old roads were actually once railroad lines but in WWII the steel was pulled out to be melted down.)

Small dam on Bridal Veil Creek

The brown gate

On the old road, which often looked more like a trail now

What the heck is this???

This old road traverses the top of the plateau to eventually meet the Foxglove Trail, but I was curious to explore some other roads that took off from the left. Each of these roads, in turn, presented more junctions, so many opportunities to explore! It was hard to choose and we'll have to go back.

Orange markers on trees mark the junction where we took a left

We crossed several good streams. Nice to have water sources up here! We later found many good potential campsites as well. hmmm....

We followed one road which was marked on the map and it eventually led to a clearing which must have been an old homestead, where we found an old car. Or truck?

N45 33.087 W122 09.815

Ancient pioneer barbeque

That's the engine block (or transmission?) under the leaves and branches

I found this steering wheel maybe a quarter mile away

From here we followed another road which is not marked on any maps. This lead to numerous junctions and to many clearings that appeared to be old homesteads. We found the odd tire, liquor bottles, oil cans, anti-freeze... lots of rusting metal junk. I won't post it all here but it's on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircooled/ ... 139489574/

This clearing had a park-like feel

State park boundary! We are now at the edge of a steep dropoff the end of the plateau.

Back on the main drag, things got a little muddy!

The remains of a motorcycle
Motorcycle N45 33.027 W122 09.456

In the middle of nowhere, a vacuum cleaner.

A large clearing, partially overgrown in salmonberry, looked like another homestead site.

The remains of some old logging equipment?

Our trails eventually led to the Foxglove Trail, then up to Devil's rest

After a gray afternoon we were treated to some sunny views!

No snow on Table!

To return, we followed 420C to the cutover to Multnomah Basin Road, then back down Palmer Mill past the big washout and back to the cars. Total hike distance, about 10.5 miles.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3745/1161 ... 5d8d_c.jpg
Attachments
track12.jpg

BrianEdwards

Re: More Lost Trails in the Gorge

Post by BrianEdwards » December 28th, 2013, 10:29 pm

So much stuff up there laying around. A small look back in time. Keep up these adventures!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » December 29th, 2013, 12:34 am

when I lose stuff..never look for it up there....maybe I should

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 29th, 2013, 10:17 am

aircooled wrote:

This is a drivers side exhaust manifold off of a 1972 Pontiac 350 or 400. The manifold part number indicates that it was used on both engines. The code on the middle of the manifold A272 means it was made January 27, 1972. I like old Pontiacs as well as hiking. :P

Pretty neat adventure with some cool views! I might just have to check it out...at least for an extra manifold. :lol:
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 29th, 2013, 10:51 am

:) Nice exploration, aircooled! I bet DN will like this TR as well. It makes a person wonder about the goings on up there in the past. Thank you for your interesting TR and the gps bearings!

Will

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 29th, 2013, 3:19 pm

It's always fun to discover "stuff" in the woods, as long it's nothing creepy like a grow operation. That car and motorcycle look like they've been up there a LONG time.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 29th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Hey Aaron,

Great TR! You really found some interesting stuff up there and a lot that I haven't seen yet - so thank you. Amazing how many bullet holes in that poor old car/truck body. Before the Palmer Mill road was gated there was a lot of dumping and stripping of stolen vehicles, etc. so it's good thing the gates were put up, IMO. I last drove into that area in the mid 70's so it has been off-limits for a lot of years but I don't know for how long exactly. Thanks for the TR!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

aircooled

Post by aircooled » December 29th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Hey Aaron
Who's Aaron? I'm Jeff ;)

aircooled

Post by aircooled » December 29th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Rustygoat wrote: This is a drivers side exhaust manifold off of a 1972 Pontiac 350 or 400.
Huh! That's what I came up with a little Googling, but the body styling on this wreck looked more like mid 1950s or earlier. Maybe not the manifold from that vehicle then?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 29th, 2013, 7:06 pm

aircooled wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Hey Aaron
Who's Aaron? I'm Jeff ;)
Oops, my bad! I got you mixed up with Airoff. Sorry!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller