Poking around Cedar Mtn 6/15

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
romann

Poking around Cedar Mtn 6/15

Post by romann » June 16th, 2013, 11:40 am

With a 3pm start (spur of the moment hike), I thought to hike a small unofficial loop trail near Hamilton Creek and visit Cedar Falls. However, it turned to be more interesting that that...

I started near Aldrich Butte (usual trailhead for Table Mtn) and took the back trail to Cedar Creek crossing. Skipped the falls thinking I'd visit it on the way back, and headed on Aldrich Falls loop. It's green out there! The trail is small but very easy to follow.

There are some giant firs here and there among smaller stands of alder and maple

Once at the end of Aldrich Falls loop, I saw a small trail continuing along Hamilton Creek, and decided to follow it. Past a couple of small gullies/washouts, where trail seemed ended, it resumed on a wide, well-visible old (rail?)road grade. There were almost no trees on road grade, just grass and ferns, and someone cleared blowdowns on small trail. It went quite a ways along the creek, bisected by gullies every 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Some gullies had ropes that aren't needed there at all.

There was some poison oak, but just a few spots. My main concern was hogweed which is numerous there; I had long pants but no long-sleeved shirt.

Road grade followed Hamilton Creek for a ways, easy to follow but now it was almost 6 pm and I needed to turn around. My GPS showed I was almost below the saddle N of Cedar Mtn, so decided to bushwhack up to a saddle and go back via familiar ridge route over Cedar. About 200' up I noticed a small cave in a dry gully.

The cavern is about 8 yards wide, 5 yd deep, and 7 feet tall. Small, but still a cool find, completely unexpected.

The 'shwack was very steep but it was less than 1/3 of a mile

Before the saddle, where I expected to reconnect with ridge trail, got onto small but well-maintained trail I never knew existed. It runs NW from Cedar saddle. Something to explore next time.

P.H. trail? That's cool mystery :)

Then it was quick way over Cedar Mtn, to creek crossing, and back to the car

Some good patches of flowers up there

Nice viewpoint of Hamilton Mtn, its namesake creek canyon and a bit of North Bonneville

Somewhere in the last (south) 1/2 mile of Cedar ridge I lost my Nikon lens cap. It probably rolled far off the trail, but if you happen to see it just PM me :)

Guy

Re: Poking around Cedar Mtn 6/15

Post by Guy » June 16th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Great TR & photos Romann, there is always something new find in the Cedar Mountain area! It's a bit like a vortex in there time & space don't follow normal rules :) ...
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 16th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Guy wrote:Great TR & photos Romann, there is always something new to find in the Cedar Mountain area! It's a bit like a vortex in there time & space don't follow normal rules :) ...
Amen!! ;)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » June 16th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Great loop Roman! There is always new stuff to find in that area.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2013, 12:17 am

Just caught up with this trip report. It's been way too long since I've been out there. Thanks for sharing! I need to get back out there again

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 20th, 2013, 5:01 am

Nice find with the cave. That'd be cool to stumble upon
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

romann

Post by romann » June 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm

jeffstatt wrote:Just caught up with this trip report. It's been way too long since I've been out there. Thanks for sharing! I need to get back out there again
You'll be surprised how much better backcountry routes become there since about 3 years ago. Like that route over the length of Cedar Mountain; it used to be flagged back then, now it's easy to follow even without flagging and only disappears on ridge meadows... goes to PCT and then it's possible to add Table Mtn to the loop. Lots of great options up there.