Well's Cove, bushwhacking on Cape Lookout 6/9/13

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Billri9685

Well's Cove, bushwhacking on Cape Lookout 6/9/13

Post by Billri9685 » June 9th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I had someone message me earlier this week asking questions about a hike I had posted in the Travels In Time section and figured it was about time to go and re-explore well's cove. It seems to be an area of the cape that is next to impossible to find any information about. I haven't spent a lot of time exploring many of the awesome features on the coast so I dont have much to compare to but this area is awesome. While I think it would be awesome if more people could see this area, getting there can be incredibly dangerous and I wouldn't recommend just anyone trying it. The soil is unstable it spots, the brush is so thick you cant see where you're putting your feet half the time, and the rocks are super slick. We spent most of the way down on all fours. But it does seem like someone tried to come in recently from a different direction and they trail blazed a path of destruction through the forest, it made it easier getting out but it was kinda sad to see the amount of damage done to the area and they didnt even go all the way.

I started at the same spot I went down 10 years ago but the trail was considerably overgrown/nonexistent so it was pretty much blazing a new trail all the way down through the Salal and berry bushes. A few key features still remained but it was obvious the trail hadn't been used in a long time.

This picture is of the hillside we came down. We pretty much went all the wall down under this stuff, occasionally popping up to make sure we were heading in the right direction.

When we got to the bottom we hit a creek that runs through the small valley on the cape.

We for the most part followed the creek to the ocean, the brush was so thick in some spots we crossed the creek simply walking on the brush. at the end of the creek we hit a small waterfall, probably about 10 feet and a nice drop off we had to find a way around. The old route was again over grown and we decided to scale down the small cliff, on the way out we found the old route.

And that put us on the rocks at the base of the cape!

The valley we followed down

Got to see some wildlife.

The beach in the cove was unaccessible today, The first time I came here we were able to get down on the beach and check out the cave. I planned hitting the bottom at low tide in hopes of making it but we either missed that window or the tide wasn't low enough today

http://gpsfly.org/g/2502

Splintercat

Re: Well's Cove, bushwhacking on Cape Lookout 6/9/13

Post by Splintercat » June 15th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Thanks, Bill -- that is really cool! A bit intimidating, too -- I'd hate to get caught down on the beach by a rapidly rising tide... yikes! One of those truly remote places in Oregon that is hidden in place sight..! Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

ken leibert

Re: Well's Cove, bushwhacking on Cape Lookout 6/9/13

Post by ken leibert » July 10th, 2013, 10:37 pm

There is another wonderful off trail hike at Cape Lookout. Hike the trail to very end. On the south side there is a scramble route that goes down the rocky slopes towards the water. There is little exposure at one point but no brush. Keep bearing right when you get near the water. You can follow rock shelves to the very tip of the cape and enter a large cave. It is very cool and not hard to do.

Ken Leibert