Mississippi Head via Paradise Park, 25-Aug-2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
kepPNW

Mississippi Head via Paradise Park, 25-Aug-2012

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2012, 6:24 pm

I only had a slim window to get in a nice hike this weekend, and wanted very much to try getting as high as I could given the very short window for that. Couldn't think of any easier access to the high country than Timberline Lodge, which is just over an hour from home. Traded miles of that 10mph stuff down cratered back roads, for near freeway speeds to a potentially jam-packed "park." I really wondered about that choice, as the VMS warned of "Runners on Roadway Next 10 Miles!"... Ahhh, crap, Hood-to-Coast. But I guess the sign worked; when I got to Timberline a bit before 9am, the place was relatively peaceful.

It's distressing to realize I've lived in the area for nearly 40 years, and hadn't yet been to Paradise Park! So that was the first goal for today. But I'd also run across another couple threads about looping up and back to Timberline across Mississippi Head, and there was just something about that trek that called to me. So that was the plan. In all, I probably crossed paths with fewer than a dozen other hikers (or groups of hikers, at any rate) on the way to and through PP. On a beautiful Saturday in late August, of all times! For all the moaning I sometimes hear about how crowded Mt Hood is, well, it was like the Enchanted Forest (guessing!) compared to the DisneyWorld-scale of humanity trampling through the Gorge.

I think this was the first time I'd ever really stopped and appreciated this sign, which puts "thru-hiking" into much better perspective!

Just above Timberline Lodge

It was a pretty darn nice morning! But I did note the distinct lack of Mt Jefferson on the southern horizon. That wasn't right, given how clear it was in every other direction. At 9am, Olallie Butte was still quite discernible, but that was the limit.

Olallie Butte poking into the haze on southern horizon

The lupine was everywhere at this elevation. You couldn't get away from it if you'd wanted to...

The PCT is sometimes so finely tended, it seems you could hike much it in moccasins!

Lupine fields far below the groomed Palmer

Wilderness registration station, for use by all campers and dayhikers

Say what you will, solo off-trail mountaineering (apologies to the purists for the redundancy there) leads one to appreciate a strong cell signal.

Potential lifeline

A little past Sand Canyon, saw a kinda cool toppled tree that'd weathered marvelously.

When I arrived at the Zigzag Canyon viewpoint, my Goal#2 for the day came sharply into view!

Zigzag Canyon

I sized up the intended traverse, roughly along the ridgeline from left to right

Hope to find a bit of history at low point (of high cliffs) on right, below Illumination Rock

Hiking to Paradise Park involves dropping about 1200' down into the Zigzag Canyon, from your starting elevation at Timberline, then bouncing right back up again. Apparently, some folks really dislike that, but the trail on both sides was extremely well maintained, shaded, and at times just downright nice.

Retaining wall holding back a spring-induced slide

Gentle trail down into canyon

Easy morning crossing of the Zigzag River

Striking pyroclastic layering in eroded hillsides

And, almost before it seems time, you hit a trail heading off towards the peak with a sign pointing to Paradise. Definitely not the PCT anymore, as the shrubbery closes in a bit, and the grade notches up a percent or three. After 15 or 20 minutes, you start breaking out of the woods...

Looking back down the trail to Paradise

If this is the welcome mat...

Cue Julie Andrews...

Signpost where the "official" trail (#778) arrives from south

This is where bees got the reputation for being busy!

The hills were alive with purples and yellows, with smatterings of white mixed in, and only a few reds here and there.

Standard issue Indian Paintbrush

Lost Creek proved to be a technicolor feast of sorts.

Looks a little plain from above

But the intensity grows as you approach

and grows

and grows!

Gratuitous subtitle

Then there were the usual assortment of hippies, as well.

I think this is a very non-standard Indian Paintbrush? I dunno, it just seems so much more magenta than most of the ones (even higher in this post) I see elsewhere?

Totally non-corrected or enhanced color

Honest

Compare and contrast...

See what I mean?

But just as I had entered Paradise so suddenly, so too I was to exit a mile or two later. Who keeps track in a place like this?

Field of diminishing returns

Split rock off in distance, with someone's tent right next to it

Band of hippies rocking out

It was all uphill, and off-trail, from here. After recent discussions, there was no decision necessary where to put this post. This is definitely not a trek to undertake short a few clues!

Looking up the ridge leading out of Paradise Park, and across at the cliffs of Mississippi Head

Is that the Reid Glacier on the left?

Source of the Sandy River

Source of the Sandy River

Paradise is just above dead center. Footsteps lead up ridgelines to here.

At this point, it's starting to get a little dicey. The snowfields are fairly steep, and the rock is about as unconsolidated as gravity allows. Climbing up the hillsides can easily set loose the boulders above you, so climbing up the snow is the path of far less resistance. I had bought a pair of microspikes a few weeks ago, and this was the perfect opportunity to try them out!

Scrambling up off the snowfield on this side of large outcrop was rather perilous

The next big snowfield gave me a chance to try out these guys

There were still a few flowers, way up here, too!

7415'

7750'

Finally(!!!), I arrived at the cliffs of Mississippi Head! What was I thinking? Holy cow, this was cool in that scary, sure hope I survive, utterly cool kinda way!

Approaching the edge

Into the abyss

And then, there it was! The propeller from the B-26 that crashed here in 1949. As I looked around, the hillside was strewn with bits and pieces of aircraft. Mostly aluminum, and astonishingly hefty. Many pieces were between 1/4 and 3/8" thick!

Peder told me there was some more wreckage just 100 yards this way:

I took his word for it

Nearby was what truly appears to be a ski jump:

No one would really build this to sleep there, right?

The last bit of ground one would see, going over this jump

Took another photo of East Zigzag Mountain and Burnt Lake. Or thought I did, at any rate. Didn't know for sure, until I downloaded and <cough> enhanced the shot a bit.

Highly enhanced

Unenhanced view directly south

Well, I ate my PB&J, a pretty good apple, and a few more handfuls of trailmix, and decided I was ready to get outta here. Problem is, the exit strategy involved climbing almost another 1000' on that crumbly stuff and/or snow and ice.

Just follow this snowfield up and to the right, then across up by that big gray hump?

The summit area was spectacular in the smoke-tinged air!

Illumination Rock

Summit and Crater Rock

Finally hit 8000' and took a right, heading over towards the top end of the Timberline ski area. Looking back, I see a cornice I was very wise to not wander into the fall-line for!

That one coulda been ugly

Source of the Zigzag River?

The homestretch is now in sight!

Moments later, the lodge appears as well

Didn't make it quite to the top of the Palmer, but close

The lifts were closed, and I had my own private army of snowcats grooming a path for me!

I'm so glad this isn't an open air restroom anymore!

Probably averaged 5mph, or better, down the ski runs. :)

Fini

In the end, wow, what a hike! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't be trusted taking their life into their own hands. But yeah... Wow! :D

The one thing that stands out, other than the obvious scenery on the mountain I happened to be on, was that the rest of the scenery had been almost entirely wiped out by the forest fire about 50 miles south of here! The smoke just built and built all day long. Here's a few shots in the general direction of Ski Bowl to put it in perspective.

9:56am

12:49pm

3:41pm

4:55pm

Final stats, according to gpsfly: 12.1 miles, 4600' EG, 8073' max elevation, 7:30 moving time.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=1814&w=645&h=440

Thanks for listening...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Re: Mississippi Head via Paradise Park, 25-Aug-2012

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Some newspaper articles (Thanks, Chase!) taken from another thread which led me on this trek, with more reference information on the B-26 crash.
Oregonian, p1 (20-Aug-1949).gif
Oregonian, Page 1, August 20, 1949
Oregonian, p4 (20-Aug-1949).gif
Oregonian, Page 4, August 20, 1949
Attachments
Oregonian (20-Aug-1949).txt
Transcribed to simple text file (easier to read!)
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Karl

hlee

Post by hlee » August 27th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Amazing TR! That seems like quite a trek, moreso than the mileage and EG would indicate! The trail through Zigzag Canyon was certainly nothing like I would have expected.

I always get creeped out by photos of airplane crashes, but it definitely adds another level of interest to your hike.

Where/how did you mess up your knee?

As far as the paintbrush, there's many different species, even just up on Mt. Hood. Some are more orange, some are more pink. There's Scarlet Paintbrush, Magenta Paintbrush...etc. I couldn't begin to really pick one apart from another, however.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 27th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Nice!

Maybe it's easier earlier in the season when there's more snow to walk on

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » August 27th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Nice Karl next time i will get to that propeller. You have to be very careful stepping on the big rocks as you climb up along the Sandy . I jumped on 2 as big as the front end of a big car. They slid on down into the canyon. Who would think they would move?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm

hlee wrote:Amazing TR! That seems like quite a trek, moreso than the mileage and EG would indicate! The trail through Zigzag Canyon was certainly nothing like I would have expected.
The 3 or 4 miles from the far side of Paradise back to Timberline were the hardest I've done this year, without question. The first 8 or 9 were simply idyllic. But those last few required 100% of your wits the entire time. The mountain worked against me as best it could.
hlee wrote:I always get creeped out by photos of airplane crashes, but it definitely adds another level of interest to your hike.

Where/how did you mess up your knee?
I'd never been to one, like this, before. So yeah, it was certainly something that gave pause. Much more real than reflecting over where I thought Spirit Lake Lodge once was.

See above where I mention the word "perilous" - that (unseen) hillside sort of collapsed below me, as Rick alludes, when I attempted to latch onto that giant rock outcropping. I rode it shortly, on one knee, doing my best to will it into stability. After coming to rest only a few feet lower than the last step, I breathed deep and resumed the scramble to the ridgeline. It was definitely four-paw territory.
hlee wrote:As far as the paintbrush, there's many different species, even just up on Mt. Hood. Some are more orange, some are more pink. There's Scarlet Paintbrush, Magenta Paintbrush...etc. I couldn't begin to really pick one apart from another, however.
Heh, I guess so! There were definitely highly distinct varieties up there!
retired jerry wrote:Nice!

Maybe it's easier earlier in the season when there's more snow to walk on
I'm still getting my snow legs back. I was far younger when I last did stuff like this! But the confidence has grown over the last few hikes, and the snow was definitely the much easier part this traverse. The unconsolidated rock was just gawd-awful energy-sucking and lots of times hazardous as all get-out. When I got back to the Palmer area, I momentarily let my guard down and started stumbling. Had to slap myself out of that real quick.
rick6003 wrote:Nice Karl next time i will get to that propeller. You have to be very careful stepping on the big rocks as you climb up along the Sandy . I jumped on 2 as big as the front end of a big car. They slid on down into the canyon. Who would think they would move?
Amen! I can't overuse the word "unconsolidated" enough on this one! That stuff is just one constant rockslide waiting, or not, to happen! (The rumble from the ZZ canyon was non-stop.) The newspaper articles even talk about a nearby airplane setting off rockslides!
Karl

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2012, 10:46 pm

A few panoramas...

From just above Mississippi Head, wide-angle, 5 images

From just above Mississippi Head, zoomed a bit, 3 images

Heading up and out of Paradise Park, 4 images

From the Sandy drainage viewpoint, 2 images

Click any composite shot for full-size.
Karl

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 28th, 2012, 3:47 pm

The color of paintbrush blossoms (which are actually bracts, not petals) can vary quite a bit even within a single species. It depends on both genetic variation and environmental conditions (e.g., mineral content of the soil). You can get anything from yellow-orange to red to magenta.

And then, to make it even more complicated, a few species of paintbrush will happily hybridize with each other. I've completely given up on specifically identifying any of them anymore (unless it's something weird, like a yellow one). When I'm labeling my photos, I just call them all "Castilleja sp."

Peder

Post by Peder » August 28th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Great trip report and pictures! I love that loop... :D
Peder told me there was some more wreckage just 100 yards this way
Just go up, across and back down; the extra bits are NE from the propeller. If you scout out the landing site for your daring ski jump, you will notice that there is also some wreckage in the boulders below the cliffs.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Krystle

Post by Krystle » August 29th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Wow, I will definitely need to remember to bring my camera, fully charged, before doing this hike!

Question - How much snow was there? I'm debating between wearing my heavy boots, or my minimalist shoes (which I prefer in the summer, but aren't so great on snow).