Exploring East of Keuffler Road to Hamilton Ridge.

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Exploring East of Keuffler Road to Hamilton Ridge.

Post by Guy » June 4th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Sunday we set out on the third hike so far to map a hiking route from Table to Archer Mountain. The first two hikes focused on the old Russ Jolly trail from Cynthia Falls to Keuffler Road. Today we were going to map the route from Keuffler road East to Hamilton Ridge.

Brad availing himself of the Keuffler Road trail head facilities.

We set off on an old logging road that shows up on most topo maps of the area and after a short distance crosses the East fork of Woodward Creek.

Apparently the road used to ford the creek here but over the past few years the creek has erroded the bank leaving an 8' drop.

There was a handy dead tree across the creek & Don led the way, deciding to walk upright over the log. All was going well until the last step were just as I was taking a photo he parted company with the log slightly earlier than planned but somehow still managed to grab hold of the tree on the bank & save himself from a dunking!

Image Image
Don in mid air!

Shortly after the creek crossing we left the road & headed out on a short bushwhack to find the Falls on East Woodward. We ended up at a spot right above the lower tier.

We persuaded Don that walking across either of the 2 logs in the left of the photo wasn't a good idea :) ..

After checking out the Falls we climbed up the canyon side to regain the road at a higher elevation than where we left it.

Looking back down into East Woodward Canyon.

Once back on the road we followed it until we were walking along the West side of Hardy Ridge looking up to Phlox point. We used a couple of game trails to climb up the West side of the ridge to Phlox Point. The GPS track shows us heading further North than we should have. It would be better to ascend slightly more steeply & miss the brushy section we encountered just North of Phlox Point.

Looking East from Phlox Point.

From here we headed to the Hardy Ridge East side trail & on to it's junction with the new Bridal way trail to the Mega Bridge over Hardy Creek.

The Mega Bridge.

From the junction after the Mega Bridge we could have gone a little South then up Dons Trail to the Hamilton Saddle but decided to go North on the Upper Hamilton Trail that leads up to an old Hamilton Ridge Road that goes all the way to the Power lines.

Image Image

The road starts out in great shape but deteriorates towards the Powler line end, but nothing some simple brushing wouldn't take care off. On My Topo this route is shown as two dashed lines that do no meet in the middle but it is possible to follow the trail all the way though. The shorter dashed line that comes in from the Powerline end resembles a logging railroad grade with deep cuts & fills. We also found a railroad spike & bolt so I'm thinking this northern portion was a railroad spur while the Sothern section was a road.

Some brushing required!

Once at the Powerline Road we ended our exploration East for the day we had come 7 miles from Keuffler. The photo below shows the next & most challanging section to map. A way down & across Hamilton Creek & on to Table but that will have to wait until next time.

After a bite to eat we headed West again on logging roads around the headwaters of Hardy Creek & Hardy ridge. There was active logging in the area.

Image Image

The old bullet hole ridden car that has shown up on reports here before marks the junction with the road that leads back on the West side of Phlox Point to Keuffler Road.

We saw significanlty more bear poop than we did other people on the trail today! We past well over 20 piles on our loop & only saw 3 people :) ..

The loop clocked in at 11.2 miles & 2825 of EG.

Here is a map:

& there are a few more pics here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Born2BBrad

Re: Exploring East of Keuffler Road to Hamilton Ridge.

Post by Born2BBrad » June 4th, 2012, 7:00 pm

This was a great trip that others should definately try. I will offer up a guided trip sometime this year. These lost trail need to get used, otherwise they could be lost forever.

This one is a great, legal way to get to Phlox Point on Hardy Ridge without having to have have a Discovery Pass.

Great pics Guy, but you missed one:
Attachments
DSC01709 - Copy.JPG
Guy behind the wheel of the trashed car:
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Peder

Post by Peder » June 4th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:This one is a great, legal way to get to Phlox Point on Hardy Ridge without having to have have a Discovery Pass.
I was just thinking that! After my run-in with a ranger earlier this year, I was thinking this is the perfect starting spot for a Hamilton-Hardy loop!

I hope that you were not shooting while Guy was in the car...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » June 5th, 2012, 4:38 am

Great exploration and nice documentation.. the idea of this continuous trail/old road system is wonderful and I do hope this gets some attention so we can expand the wonderful areas to hike on the Washington side of the Gorge.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 5th, 2012, 10:43 am

Great job guys!! But I'm sure it was just another easy off trail hike for you folks? Looks like 2 mystery items found = Lazy Boy & Car?

By the way that car sure looks like an ..?? 60ish maybe 64 Falcon?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Guy

Post by Guy » June 5th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Thanks Everyone,

Re the car Mayhem, Don was busy under the hood trying to give it a jump start, I think he said it was a old Galaxy?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors