Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Easyrider

Re: Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Post by Easyrider » June 29th, 2012, 8:12 am

Great TR! I love options!

I vaguely recall the Cabin Creek area... is there an actual TH to start the southernly hike towards the ridge and Warren Lake?

I like Starvation Ridge because it is usually not very crowded, at least compared to the traditional Defiance trail. Going up Cabin Creek ridge and back down Starvation Ridge would be sweet. Just a matter of finding a way to punch through to connect with it at the southernmost end it seems.

I am very big on detailed TRs, especially for not well traveled trails. Any details you can provide on getting to the TH and staying on trail would be greatly appreciated. Looks like navigation is pretty straightforward.. head south and stay on the ridge/spine?

I'd Like Julie and I to do this one fairly soon. The Munra Point/Tanner loop has piqued my interest in death defying Gorge hikes :)
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

Peder

Post by Peder » June 29th, 2012, 8:23 am

Easyrider - Just checking: Have you done the "easy" off trail routes in the Gorge, such as the Rock of Ages or Ruckel Ridge? Then comes stuff like the Rudolph Spur and some of Pablo's easier finds. I suspect (I have not done the Cabin Creek Ridge yet) that this ridge may be quite a challenge and could well be more difficult than the upper Munra Ridge. I notice that Pablo says that "There was one spot (not the following) that made me stop and think but I did it anyway." I do not think that he has any such qualms on the upper Munra Ridge! You can always PM me with what off trail hikes you have done, and I will try to give you a couple of suggestions for off trail adventures.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » June 29th, 2012, 8:38 am

I've done Ruckel Ridge several times and thought it was pretty easy. Did the Rock of Ages out to Devils Spine and along Yeon Mountain. Totally lost the trail due to snow at the PCT and had to turn back. Did Rudolph Spur once which was challenging also due to snow. Rudolph Spur was probably the trickiest to navigate because you aren't always on a defined ridge. It was also a pretty boring hike.

Upper Munra had more exposure than I was comfortable with when I got about a mile from the Wilderness crossover. But based on yours and other people's feedback I think I know which way to go next time I head that way. Navigation wasn't an issue at all. Potentially plummeting to my death at any second was.

For hikes like Cabin Creek Ridge, I would look at the first attempt as a recon mission. If I can get where I want to go, great. If not, I'll turn back before I get lost/fall, ask questions and head back out another time until I figure it out. You actually have to work at it to get hopelessly lost in the Gorge. Might involve substantial bushwhacking but heading north until your feet get wet will usually get you back to the river.

Some dog just fell off the Eagle Creek trail which is about the easiest hike in the Gorge.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 29th, 2012, 10:52 am

Does someone happen to have a picture they can post of the dangerous spot Easyrider is referring to on the upper Munra ridge? EP and I did this last December (up to the powerlines, then over Moffett Cr. to Nesmith) and I cannot recall any spot on this ridge where "plummeting to my death" was a risk, so I'm having trouble following the direction of this thread...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

pablo

Post by pablo » June 29th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Easyrider wrote:Great TR! I love options!

I vaguely recall the Cabin Creek area... is there an actual TH to start the southernly hike towards the ridge and Warren Lake?

I like Starvation Ridge because it is usually not very crowded, at least compared to the traditional Defiance trail. Going up Cabin Creek ridge and back down Starvation Ridge would be sweet. Just a matter of finding a way to punch through to connect with it at the southernmost end it seems.

I am very big on detailed TRs, especially for not well traveled trails. Any details you can provide on getting to the TH and staying on trail would be greatly appreciated. Looks like navigation is pretty straightforward.. head south and stay on the ridge/spine?

I'd Like Julie and I to do this one fairly soon. The Munra Point/Tanner loop has piqued my interest in death defying Gorge hikes :)
Hey Easyrider,

This ridge is not particularly difficult, like I said in the report, there is one spot of 3rd class scrambling that can be avoided if desired and now that I've done it twice and knowing what to expect I'd even down climb it. That spot made a big impression on me the first time as I had no idea what to expect. I'd say it is no worse than what you've done on Munra Pt or Ruckel Ridge - this ridge is likely easier than Munra going south. Just stay on the ridge as much as possible - you should not have to vary much. At the south end go east when the slope starts to get steeper to intersect the Starvation Ridge Trail. If you and your crew are feeling energetic, you can continue south up the steep slope to get to the plateau and intersect the Mitchell Point trail to Warren Lake.

To get to the starting point, go up Starvation Ridge trail and at the first junction go west on the cutoff trail that follows the powerline right-of-way. Cross Cabin Creek and continue on the cutoff to the crest of Cabin Creek Ridge, just north of the tower located there - take in the nice views overlooking the Columbia from the trail. Head towards the tower and continue on up the ridge.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peder

Post by Peder » June 29th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Bosterson wrote:Does someone happen to have a picture they can post of the dangerous spot Easyrider is referring to on the upper Munra ridge?
Nat - Everything is relative: To you the ridge is a walk in the park no matter what way you go! This is the spot in question:
DSC06387.jpg
This is the outcrop.
DSC06389.jpg
This is the gully on the east side used by deer (and Peder).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Hm. I guess this is crossing this topic over into that other one of Guy's he was posting in, but anyway - that "ridge" is after you get off the south end of the Munra spine and head up the hill SW into the trees? Sort of the obstacle between you and the top of the hill?

I think EP said Don's track wanted us to climb it, but we ended up skirting around the right (NW) side and then went up the slope to the top. It's steep, but it's a hill - nothing to fall off of. Just normal steep off trail hiking.

EP probably has a track of it. None of the pictures seem to display for me on his TR from last December, but I'm pretty sure the area in question is the "huge area of rocks" he says Don's track goes over. Might ask EP for his track if needed.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Peder

Post by Peder » June 29th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Bosterson wrote:Hm. I guess this is crossing this topic over into that other one of Guy's he was posting in, but anyway - that "ridge" is after you get off the south end of the Munra spine and head up the hill SW into the trees? Sort of the obstacle between you and the top of the hill?
Yes, the outcrop is the only (major) obstacle between the open Munra ridge and the powerline. Yes, we have kind of hijacked Pablo's Cabin Creek Ridge, apologies... :(

Peder

Post by Peder » June 29th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Easyrider wrote:I've done Ruckel Ridge several times and thought it was pretty easy. Did the Rock of Ages out to Devils Spine and along Yeon Mountain. Totally lost the trail due to snow at the PCT and had to turn back. Did Rudolph Spur once which was challenging also due to snow.
Easyrider - You are well prepared and ready to explore! There are lots of possibilities if you look through the old threads in this forum (Off-trail Trip Reports & Lost Trails). Enjoy! :D

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » August 3rd, 2012, 2:12 pm

Much obliged for the great information and support Pablo and Peder. Julie and I are planning to do this one (Cabin Creek Ridge) Sunday if anyone is interested in participating. As usual, I'll post a TR if we get back alive :)

With regard to the J1 outcrop on Munra... it's certainly possible that I was being overly cautious at what apparently is the final outcrop. The posted picture look like they were taken from the bottom of the outcrop and doesn't look that bad once you get down there. My worry was that after I went down the very steep trail to the left of the outcrop I would find that it was the trail to nowhere and would have to slug my way back to the top. I had just expended a lot of time and energy trying to find a way to go to the West (which is what previous TR's recommended) and that route turned out to be impossibly dangerous. While I am not a total coward, I do try to avoid being the subject of a Sheriff's rescue...

I do plan to go back there again and will hopefully make it all the way to the Tanner crossover.