Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Post by pablo » May 19th, 2012, 8:02 pm

[edit for name change in title, Cabin Creek Ridge sounds better than Cabin Ridge]

Between Starvation Ridge and the ridge Defiance Trail travels is another long ridge west of Cabin Creek that I've been eying for quite awhile. It has no name on the USGS topo map as viewed in NG TOPO so using the convention provided by Viento and Starvation ridges, I'm calling it by the name of the creek to the east - Cabin Ridge (maybe "Cabin Creek Ridge" has a better sound to it). I went up there today just to see if there were any obvious obstacles and wound up doing the entire thing in a loop with Starvation Ridge. The part that goes on up to the Mitchel Pt trail and on to Warren Lake is a trip for another day - when I do that, I'll likely follow what I think is bogus trail marking on the USGS quad - see map below for that part.

Dog lot was full:

As was Dog, full of flowers and people - you can see the yellow of the Balsam Root.

The views on the ridge are very good, certainly as good as any on Starvation Ridge. The ridge is fairly free of any brush but it did not escape the wrath of this winter's ice storm but still very passable.

Here's looking up the Warren Creek drainage at some nifty rock formations.

Seems like there was always a handy rock outcrop to wander out on.

Is this a sweet ridgeline or what?

Some 3rd class scrambling here and there, nothing too serious - it is possible to stay on the ridge for the entire distance. There was one spot (not the following) that made me stop and think but I did it anyway.

This is what was waiting for me when I topped out, nice.

One of the nicest ridge line hikes I've ever done - I'll be back - no doubt this is what Starvation RIdge looked like before the trail was added...

4.7 miles 2800' cumulative elevation gain in a little less than 3 hours. This might actually be a shortcut to Warren Lake depending on the quality of the remaining piece.

I did not see any trail at the southern edge of Cabin ridge (see map) and I'm very skeptical about there ever having been trail through there but I'm going to check it out next time anyway just to be sure.

Last edited by pablo on May 20th, 2012, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peder

Re: Cabin Ridge, May 19, 2012

Post by Peder » May 19th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Judging by the pictures, yes! Well done Paul, that makes two great ridges this year (at least). I'm still driving around with an ice ax in my car for the first one. So far, the weather has twice forced me to drive further east to hike (rain). Furthermore, since then I told Chip about the Dry Creek Spur hike, so now we will be going together once the stars & plants align.

I suspect you are correct about the bogus trail.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pablo

Post by pablo » May 19th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Peder wrote:
Judging by the pictures, yes! Well done Paul, that makes two great ridges this year (at least). I'm still driving around with an ice ax in my car for the first one. So far, the weather has twice forced me to drive further east to hike (rain). Furthermore, since then I told Chip about the Dry Creek Spur hike, so now we will be going together once the stars & plants align.

I suspect you are correct about the bogus trail.
Thanks Peder, it was fun. I omitted a huge thanks to mcds for the terrific work he's been doing on Starvation and Defiance trails - I used the cutoff trail from Starvation to Defiance to make the start of the ridge and his work is all over the place - most impressive.

--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 20th, 2012, 8:56 am

Neat trip, Paul! The views into Warren Canyon are worth the price of admission, alone -- pretty in there. It looks like you skirted the top of the ice storm downfall (on the NE faces of the ridges in that area) by following the ridge line, too..? Too bad the Starvation Ridge and Defiance trails didn't follow that route -- it looks much more scenic!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

rick6003

Re: Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Post by rick6003 » May 20th, 2012, 9:44 am

Pablo,

It seems that I am just following you around here on your hikes through the Gorge. I was looking at that earlier this year and here I see a report on it!

I love following the ridge lines and it makes it nice when you know its a doable climb. I will be doing it soon as I can. Just too much to do,

A side obversation, I never expect to see much blow down on a ridge line, the sides always seem to be where it occurs. I am thinking that the trees are just well rooted or the main force is always into the banks.
Another one, I find Starvation Ridge to be pretty boring if this route is more scenic could it be a nice alternative to it?

Chase

Post by Chase » May 20th, 2012, 10:11 am

Inspiring! Love to loop this over to Mitchell Pt., though the going would be a little tough in spots. PM me if you'd like to make this happen in the next few weeks.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 20th, 2012, 11:36 am

Hey Paul, about the possible bogus trail alignment... I'm thinking that trail is the trail
we use when coming up Starvation Ridge and continue on to Warren Lake?

I always thought the 417 to the right on your TOPO map is the one that's not really there...

Awesome looking ridge hike for sure! Thanks for adding another hike to my
to do list! :)

pablo

Post by pablo » May 20th, 2012, 11:52 am

Splintercat wrote:Neat trip, Paul! The views into Warren Canyon are worth the price of admission, alone -- pretty in there. It looks like you skirted the top of the ice storm downfall (on the NE faces of the ridges in that area) by following the ridge line, too..? Too bad the Starvation Ridge and Defiance trails didn't follow that route -- it looks much more scenic!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)
Hey Tom,

The debris - and there was plenty - on the ridgeline was mostly limbs and tops of trees not many stems like lower down and on the sides of ridges. My photo of Warren Canyon does not do it justice - a most impressive area.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » May 20th, 2012, 11:58 am

rick6003 wrote:Pablo,

It seems that I am just following you around here on your hikes through the Gorge. I was looking at that earlier this year and here I see a report on it!

I love following the ridge lines and it makes it nice when you know its a doable climb. I will be doing it soon as I can. Just too much to do,

A side obversation, I never expect to see much blow down on a ridge line, the sides always seem to be where it occurs. I am thinking that the trees are just well rooted or the main force is always into the banks.
Another one, I find Starvation Ridge to be pretty boring if this route is more scenic could it be a nice alternative to it?
Rick,

For me I'm likely to never ascend Starvation Ridge again, this is going to be my standard route for going up towards Warren Lake or Defiance. There is still work to do on this one to explore the route on up to Mitchel Pt Trail. BTW, there's bear on this route. One other thing, this loop I took being under 3000' there is a good chance of this being open and fairly snow free most of the winter.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » May 20th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Hey Paul, about the possible bogus trail alignment... I'm thinking that trail is the trail
we use when coming up Starvation Ridge and continue on to Warren Lake?

I always thought the 417 to the right on your TOPO map is the one that's not really there...

Awesome looking ridge hike for sure! Thanks for adding another hike to my
to do list! :)
Hey Eric,

You'll like this one, a lot.

About the bogus trail, nope, here's a map from a Starvation Ridge, Warren Lake, Defiance loop - I was on trail the whole time:

--Paul