#768 Sugarloaf Mtn and FR35a Trails Exploration Oct 26, 2008

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

#768 Sugarloaf Mtn and FR35a Trails Exploration Oct 26, 2008

Post by pablo » October 26th, 2008, 10:44 pm

This is a 2 parter - first part Sugarloaf Mtn, second part an investigation of some trails at the end of the FR 35a road Tom (aka Splintercat) discussed. Thanks, Tom, for the beta on both these hikes.

Here's a link to a kmz file of the GPX track if you want to play with my track log in Google Earth. If this opens in GE there should be a little slider that allows you to go back and forth along the 2 tracks and gives time, location, and other info.

Sugarloaf Mth is located immediately to the north of Lolo Pass Rd and the Sandy River in the Mount Hood National Forest. There is considerable private ground in the area so care needs to be taken to avoid tromping on spaces that would potentially irritate the local property owners. To avoid any confrontations, I parked in a wide spot on Lolo Pass Rd just east of the last bit of private ground and did the entire hike inside MHNF ground. Unfortunately, the original trailhead for the #768 is on private ground so I missed doing the entire route as originally laid out.

The #768 appears as a lesser standard trail on the 1938 MHNF map and is shown on the 1946 and 1963 maps; the trail is gone in the 1966 map. Here's a snippet from the 1963 map with the white parts where the western trailhead is located marking private ground. Still the case today.

The original trail continued east on past Sugarloaf Mtn into areas off limits due to Bull Run watershed restrictions.

I got to the jump off spot as the sun made it's appearance, lots of fall colors along Lolo Pass Rd.

Past the powerlines bracken was turning color.

Once in the forest, the bushwhack up the hill was in dense forest with little undergrowth. Pretty much that way the whole day.

Reached an open slope just before the final push to the summit. The picture is not that interesting but if you look in the trees above the open slope you'll see a cliffy rock outcropping. This outcropping is just a glimpse of what plagued me all day, there is a line of cliffs along the 3200-3600' contours running pretty much along the entire side of the hill. The way from this open talus slope to the easier slope above required much searching for a way through these cliffs with slopes approaching 50% and lots of on-all-fours scrambling and spots where a fall would have caused serious injury or death, I do not recommend going up this way.

Once on the top of the ridgeline and just before the summit, I made the open slope with big views up the Sandy River and Mount Hood. The wind was blowing hard and kicking up a lot of dust on Mount Hood. I had to add a layer 'cause it was pretty cold for me.

Looking east on Lolo Pass Rd:

I pushed on to the summit as one goal was to see if Hickman Butte was visible, no problem there. Here's what I first saw as I made the summit - nice open beargrass meadow and small bushes. Burnt Peak sticking up in the center.

Once on top there's lots of places to look at like Hickman Butte.

Here's a 20x zoom of the lookout. Its shuttered - would that ever be a fun place to visit.

Here's Burnt Peak.

Looking northeast up the ridge line into the Bull Run DMZ.

Another look at the summit to Burnt Peak - Adams is visible on the right horizon.

Below the summit was a lot of color from vine maple.

I headed down the ridge to see if there was anything left of the trail and ran into what looked like a thinning operation - must have been helicopter logging as there are no roads on top. Really strange as there appeared to be perfectly good logs that had been de-branched and ready for transport but were left laying around.

Lots of signs marking the sale. Note: this cut is just off the summit. 10-20 years ago?

I followed the ridge hoping to bypass the line of cliffs below but every time I probed the downward side of the ridge I got cliffed out. Here on the ridge I started seeing remnants of the trail - in places flagged with bits of pink ribbon. My guess is the FS timber cruiser(s) used this trail to reach the sale area to define and mark the sale boundaries. The trail, when present, was useful for by passing a couple of rock outcroppings blocking the ridge route. There's a clear and wide trail bench.

The old trail helped out when I hit a really steep part of the ridge - right at the elevation of the cliffs that had been keeping me from descending. A couple of switchbacks got me below the cliff line and I was able to start the long side hill trek back to Lolo Pass Rd. I wonder what kind of shape the trail is in down to Aschoff Rd.

So there are bits of trail remaining. In looking at the 1938 map I may have missed parts towards the summit, I was likely too far south but then the partial cut would have been hard on the trail so maybe there is nothing there close to the summit.

About 6 miles 2600' - just to be clear - the route goes counterclockwise from Lolo Pass Rd, going straight up the hill to the summit, back down the ridge line on the old trail location, then sidehill back to Lolo Pass Rd.

Google Earth snapshot of the GPX log from my 60csx.

Part 2 - Trails at the end of FR 35a

Tom mentioned a number of trails taking off from the end of FR35a and I had a leftover from a previous hike where I followed a trail that looked to be headed towards the east end of the 35a road. I did not have time to fully explore these trails but I followed one trail Tom mentioned to a nice viewpoint. Little Rocks trail I think is what Tom called it - I should check but I want to get this report out the door. Here's a couple of shots of Hood from the viewpoint.

20x zoom of the top:

I followed 3 definite trails and one maybe trail taking off from the end of 35a. One seems to parallel the 35a Rd on the north. Another takes off up the hill - is this the Big Rocks trail? The Little Rocks trail as discussed above goes east for a short bit to the viewpoint. None seemed to head in the direction of the trail I was looking for - I'll have to catch it next time - only .3 miles away as the crow flies so a short bushwhack would get me back there and I can follow from there. This trail, if I can find it, would give access to Zigzag Mtn trails from a low elevation trailhead without going on the Enola Hill Rd.

Here's the TOPO version of the tracks I followed. The blue line is the trail I followed form the upper trailheads a while back, the red is what I did today. The viewpoint discussed above is furthest east, not very far from the 35a trailhead.

Here's the GE version of the GPX track.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Splintercat

Re: #768 Sugarloaf Mtn and FR35a Trails Exploration Oct 26, 2008

Post by Splintercat » October 27th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Wow - awesome report, Paul! I've been wondering what the view from Sugarloaf was like for a loooong time..! Some very good news in your report, from a TKO perspective: sections of trail still exist, the forest is relatively open, the Hood views from the upper talus slopes are outstanding, and it looks like you have very good views from the summit. But could you see Hood or due south from the summit..?

Also, I noticed on your Sugarloaf track that you probed a bit at the top of the western-most rock outcrop, just before you started the side hill traverse back to your car -- what kind of view did that spot have?

Wonderful, reading this, Paul..! :D BTW, I'll post a "mental map" of the High Rocks/Low Rocks loop this evening. I'd forgotten that there are some streamside paths that opened up in about 1978, when the USFS did some horse logging in the area, and the yarding paths turned into trails. There's a pretty creek that flows from the ravine north of the rocks, and then parallels Road 35A, and these log drags morphed into some short walking loops for cabin owners.

Some USFS commentary on both areas: Road 35A is on public land, as are all of the cabins along this stretch of the Zigzag. No need to ask permission to park along these roads, or to walk among the cabins. The lease for these cabins is for the ground they sit on, not the surrounding area.

The story is different in the Sugarloaf area, where the private parcels represent inholdings. It's true that they are contiguous with other private land to the west, but if you look at Paul's USFS map showing the old trail, you can also see the MHNF statutory boundary in bold. The USFS is allowed to acquire lands inside this boundary, as needed, and generally through swaps or purchases. Thus, the possibility of re-opening access to the Sugarloaf trailhead at its original location is within the scope of the MNNF statutory authority, provided that a public purpose could be demonstrated. We're a long way from that happening, but the first step is simply showing that the trail (a resource in its own right) is still there.

Good work, Paul! I was on the opposite side of the mountain while you were Sugarloafing... I'll post a Bluegrass Ridge report in the regular trip reports area when I get a moment. Thanks!

Tom :)

pablo

Post by pablo » October 27th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Here's a pano of the look south on the summit, not much there but Hood is visible. The pano covers approximately from east south east on the left to south west on the right.
PanoSummit.jpg
Here's a zoom shot near the left of the pano through the trees to Hood.
SummitHood.jpg
Also, I noticed on your Sugarloaf track that you probed a bit at the top of the western-most rock outcrop, just before you started the side hill traverse back to your car -- what kind of view did that spot have?
I did not take photos from there but the view is mostly of Zigzag Mtn.

Thx for the info on parking at the end of 35a.

That's great news about the inholding part and a possibility the old trailhead could be acquired, hope it happens as it is obviously a worthwhile destination. A lot of work would be required to bring the trail up to spec.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » October 27th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Here's a pano looking north, Hood is visible on the right.
PanoNorth.jpg
--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 27th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Thanks, Paul - excellent photos! Do you mind if I use a couple of these for TKO purposes, with credit?

Tom

pablo

Post by pablo » October 27th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Paul - excellent photos! Do you mind if I use a couple of these for TKO purposes, with credit?

Tom
Not at all, happy to help.

--Paul