Doug's Beach SP (aka Devils Hole or Three Benches)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Gray Jay

Doug's Beach SP (aka Devils Hole or Three Benches)

Post by Gray Jay » December 11th, 2011, 12:48 am

Has anyone else encountered an aggressive man with a rifle while hiking on Doug's Beach State Park land above State Highway 14?

While sitting under a tree at about the 1,000 foot level eating lunch on Wednesday, Dec. 7, we were assaulted by a man with a rifle who threatened to start shooting if we didn't leave. According to our GPS tracks, we were well within state park boundaries. The case is now an active investigation by Washington State Parks. We and State Parks are wondering if there are other similar but unreported incidents out there?

Peder

Re: Doug's Beach SP (aka Devils Hole or Three Benches)

Post by Peder » December 11th, 2011, 9:27 am

How unpleasant! I would be in a big hurry to leave and be very scared. Hopefully this did not totally spoil your day out.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 11th, 2011, 9:46 am

That's awful, and scary. Did the guy give any clue as to why he was so upset with your presence? Maybe he's got a marijuana grow up there or something... :x I'm glad you guys made it out in one piece.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » December 21st, 2011, 3:38 pm

Nope Gray, I haven't ever had any trouble up there, nor have i heard of anything from anyone else...but that said, I don't think anyone really goes up there, except maybe Greg Lief and Darryl Lloyd. Sorry this happened to you, but please keep us posted what comes of this, if anything. scott

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » December 21st, 2011, 4:59 pm

Whoa Nelly!

Paranoid mountain man.. illegal grow op.. lost tweaker.. definitely something nefarious. Way to spoil peoples' hikes! Glad there were no shots fired =D.

Times like this make me really weigh the Pros & Cons of carrying sidearm for hiking in some places. On one hand, it could've meant protection if the guy were serious about firing. On the other, it's presence alone could've escalated the situation. I think it'd just be better if mean people didn't harass friendly hikers =D. Go grow your nuglets on your own property!
Hi!

Koda

Post by Koda » December 24th, 2011, 9:56 pm

HeadIdiot wrote:.....On the other, it's presence alone could've escalated the situation.
Correct. Options are a good thing, if you choose to do so it's best to get a concealed permit and carry accordingly, not just an advantage tactically (such as preventing escalation) but also out of respect for other hikers.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » December 26th, 2011, 8:31 am

Koda wrote:
HeadIdiot wrote:.....On the other, it's presence alone could've escalated the situation.
Correct. Options are a good thing, if you choose to do so it's best to get a concealed permit and carry accordingly, not just an advantage tactically (such as preventing escalation) but also out of respect for other hikers.
Indeed, I get enough strange looks when I have my machete and hatchet and knives strapped all over me ;D.. I don't think a gun would go over any better =P.
Hi!