Kings Mountain: the Coronary/Coxcomb option

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
bobcat

Kings Mountain: the Coronary/Coxcomb option

Post by bobcat » December 8th, 2011, 2:18 pm

This is just to add to the recent literature on different approaches to the Kings Mountain summit. My ascent route last Sunday took in only about 0.15 miles of the regular Kings Mountain Trail. The off-trail portion was less than two miles, but I suppose that justifies a posting on this forum.

I headed up the Kings Mountain Trail and took a left onto the Wilson River Trail. Shortly, I crossed the old logging track that was the approach to Kings Mountain Jr. before the Wilson River Trail was built. I declined to take it this time as it has degenerated into an alder obstacle course. This is what it looked like the last time I was there, in March 2010:
Negotiating alders, Kings Mountain Junior.jpg
The Wilson River Trail rises under Douglas-fir, red alder, and big-leaf maple to meet another logging track at the same spot as the original Kings Jr. route. About 150 yards along this track, just as it drops slightly around the nose of a ridge, and after you pass between a couple of alders, the unmarked Kings Mt. Jr. Trail rises steeply up.
Alders at Kings Jr. Trail junction, Wilson River Trail.jpg
Soon, you arrive at an exposed ridge with views south and west, as well as north to the West Ridge of Kings and then its summit.
The sign, Coronary Ridge, Kings Mountain Jr..jpg
View east from Kings Mountain Jr..jpg
View to Moore Creek and Ben Smith Creek drainages, Kings Mountain Jr..jpg
The Kings Jr. Trail has become well-worn over the years as it climbs to a couple of high points on the ridge and then descends to join the main Kings Mountain Trail. From this junction, I headed steeply uphill about 200 yards to where the trail levels off again.

Off to the right is an overgrown logging track which marks the beginning of the Coxcomb route (If you reach the 2,500’ marker, you’ve gone too far). I used the directions in my 50 Hikes in the Tillamook State Forest (Sierra Club) to follow this route. Mandrake also linked to this write-up in the thread to his recent report on the Southeast Ridge: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=10127 , and mayhem via Eric Peterson also posted the Mazama map of the routes in that area on mandrake’s thread.

The route proceeds along this track, now colonized by young Douglas-firs:
The road bed, Coxcomb route, Kings Mountain.jpg
Russula (Russula sp.), Coxcomb route, Kings Mountain.jpg
The track deteriorates as you squirm through copses of Douglas-firs and then disappears altogether. It’s important to keep on a level contour as old road tracks plunge down the slope and you don’t want to go down. There are also innumerable elk tracks in this area. You scramble across a steep slope with some views to the Wilson River Valley and then cross the Southeast Ridge. From here, you cross two small drainages. The first is a stumbling slog through thigh-high salal with numerous rotten logs tossed about to add to the sport. The second drainage is a more diverse mixture of bear-grass, Oregon grape, sword fern and salal and is easier to negotiate. You can see Coxcomb Ridge ahead before you cross a dry creek bed and then it’s a matter of scrambling up to begin the ascent.
Hairy manzanita (Arctostaphylos columbiana), Coxcomb Ridge, Kings Mountain.jpg
The views are magnificent across a sheer-sided ravine to the south wall of the East Ridge and then across a forested bowl to Elk Mountain.
East Ridge and Elk Mt., Coxcomb Ridge, Kings Mountain.jpg
Self-portrait, Coxcomb Ridge, Kings Mountain.jpg
Southeast Ridge and Wilson River Valley, Coxcomb Ridge.jpg
An unkindness of ravens (always wanted to write that) wheeled overhead and a red-tailed hawk screamed its disapproval of my invasion. The rough, crumbly sea-floor basalt is padded with moss and clumps of phlox, penstemon, and stonecrop. There are plenty of good hand and foot holds on the ridge, making the ascent the highlight of this hike. My only complaint would be that it was far too short on such a gloriously sunny day - only about 100 yards, and then, after negotiating a small notch, you’re back in the woods. From here, you angle up to the right to meet the crest of the East Ridge. There are elk trails criss-crossing the entire slope and fresh elk droppings everywhere. Soon, I passed a TP flower and then a campfire circle and arrived at the top - no snow and a crust of frost only in the shadows. From the summit meadow, there was a clear view of Mt. Hood on Sunday, and also of Mt. Adams through the trees.
Mt. Hood from Kings Mountain.jpg
From my lunch spot, on a carpet of kinnikinnick overlooking the Lester Creek valley, I looked down over Coronary Ridge, the Lester Creek pinnacles, the alder-shaded road that is the Wilson River Trail, and the North Fork Wilson. In due course, I headed down the main trail to return to the parking lot. I don’t use a GPS, so see mandrake’s thread for the maps.

mandrake

Re: Kings Mountain: the Coronary/Coxcomb option

Post by mandrake » December 8th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Nice work, Bobcat! Been curious about Coxcomb.
How was the ridge segment up there? Class 3-4? Exposed? Sounds like a scramble from your writeup.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 8th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Have to do Coxcomb one of these days, done everything else around there....

Nice job bobcat!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 9th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Thanks, EP and mandrake.

Yes, the Coxcomb is a scramble: Class 3 in my estimation (not Class 4 as stated in the Sierra guide). There's a 200' vertical drop on the side facing the East Ridge; on Coxcomb's southwest side, the slope is not vertical, but a slip in some places would cut you up pretty badly. Conditions last Sunday were ideal, but I would definitely not take a dog there, and I would advise avoiding it in ice, snow, or pouring rain.

John

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 12th, 2011, 1:18 am

Great TR & Nice job doing what I only dream of!!

FYI :) The Kings Jr is Marked on the wilson river trail it is just faded. EP Was going to beat me up after arguing with me about it. I made a video but he still did not believe me. He went out & looked very carefully & sure enough a beat down was avoided for the umpteenth time!
The video that almost got me the beating of my life!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxvboCCX ... ture=g-upl

I'm curious since you do not use GPS how you know you were not on the false Coxcomb trail? I went out the other day to check it out...maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me you used the false Coxcomb trail but still ended in the correct destination.

Here is my GPS of the area in question with pics also....what do you think? Rember I have DSP = Something I forgot DN labeled me :) but it is something related to zero spatial awareness!!

Pic of False Coxcomb 200ft pass Kings jr

The Real Coxcomb where sign was found
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 12th, 2011, 12:31 pm

@mayhem: Yes, you're correct, of course, about Kings Jr. I should have written "unsignposted" instead of "unmarked." However, if someone didn't know what the markings meant, he/she may not see the trail. Also, I think all the paint marks are beyond the two alders (my second picture) and around the corner so to speak, and therefore beyond where most people go up.

As far as the Coxcomb goes, I wrote "200 yards" above the junction with the Kings Jr. Trail. I think you're saying the "False Coxcomb" is 200 feet above it, not 200 yards. My turnoff was exactly like your "Real Coxcomb" picture. I was just following the directions in the Sierra guide: "Beyond [the 0.63 miles] sign [right after the Kings Jr. junction], the trail rises gently for a short distance, then becomes steep once more. As it levels off above the steep section, look for traces of an old logging road that parallels the trail on your right." That's where I went off. I just kept to a contour (maybe 2,400') all the way to Coxcomb. There are elk trails here and there, but nothing consistently on a plane, so it's a total bushwhack after the logging road begins to fall apart.

If I got a GPS, the main reason would be to create the great maps that you guys do. I've been using Topo maps and tracking since I was a kid, so that's the way I get around (as well as carefully reading directions). It's slower of course: I sometimes have to cross-section (up and down, left and right) to make sure I'm on the right track, so I don't beat any speed records. Never been lost for more than about 30 minutes, but I also pick my battles carefully.

John

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 12th, 2011, 5:44 pm

bobcat wrote:@mayhem: Yes, you're correct, of course, about Kings Jr. I should have written "unsignposted" instead of "unmarked." However, if someone didn't know what the markings meant, he/she may not see the trail. Also, I think all the paint marks are beyond the two alders (my second picture) and around the corner so to speak, and therefore beyond where most people go up.

As far as the Coxcomb goes, I wrote "200 yards" above the junction with the Kings Jr. Trail. I think you're saying the "False Coxcomb" is 200 feet above it, not 200 yards. My turnoff was exactly like your "Real Coxcomb" picture. I was just following the directions in the Sierra guide: "Beyond [the 0.63 miles] sign [right after the Kings Jr. junction], the trail rises gently for a short distance, then becomes steep once more. As it levels off above the steep section, look for traces of an old logging road that parallels the trail on your right." That's where I went off. I just kept to a contour (maybe 2,400') all the way to Coxcomb. There are elk trails here and there, but nothing consistently on a plane, so it's a total bushwhack after the logging road begins to fall apart.

If I got a GPS, the main reason would be to create the great maps that you guys do. I've been using Topo maps and tracking since I was a kid, so that's the way I get around (as well as carefully reading directions). It's slower of course: I sometimes have to cross-section (up and down, left and right) to make sure I'm on the right track, so I don't beat any speed records. Never been lost for more than about 30 minutes, but I also pick my battles carefully.

John
Cool Yep! My bad! Thanks for explanining it for me, makes more sense now :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!