Lamberson Spur to Cooper Spur Loop 10/3/14

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
scole

Re: Lamberson Spur to Cooper Spur Loop 10/3/14

Post by scole » November 23rd, 2014, 11:37 am

kepPNW wrote:
scole wrote:Would love to visit and check out this area of the flaky rocks. I think I figured out roughly where it is. Looks like I could start at the Cloud Cap Inn trailhead & hike up towards Cooper Spur, take the Timberline Trail south and then head back down ridge the half mile to this location?
I need to do that, too. If you're in that general area, there's another huge outcropping of that same stuff over on Gnarl Ridge, just above Lamberson Butte.

Thanks, Karl. That looks great as well. I'll add it to the ever growing list. :lol:

Lurker

Post by Lurker » December 9th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Cool to see the fox, love all that mountain shale.

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 11th, 2014, 9:12 am

Man talk about "back from the dead"! Don't you just love when old posts get resurrected? I know I do! I totally missed this one too as it happened when I was in Europe. That fox! WOW! :shock: You're awesome, Ben!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » April 16th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Speaking of resurrecting old threads, does anyone know if camping is allowed anywhere along this trail? I know Sherwood campground is awesome, but was thinking of hiking this trail and camping somewhere along the way, but am unsure about whether it is legal to camp in this area if its not an officially designated campsite.
I can't thank yall enough for posting these great trip reports. I am planning to hike this in June and I keep thinking that if I just read all the reports over and over it will decrease my likelihood of getting lost :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 17th, 2015, 5:28 am

LostTexan wrote:Speaking of resurrecting old threads, does anyone know if camping is allowed anywhere along this trail? I know Sherwood campground is awesome, but was thinking of hiking this trail and camping somewhere along the way, but am unsure about whether it is legal to camp in this area if its not an officially designated campsite.
It's a Wilderness area with, afaik, no restrictions on camping anywhere within. (Not the ski areas, though!) There are a few camp sites established on or around Gnarl Ridge and Lamberson Spur, and probably elsewhere in that area. Goal will be to leave no trace, wherever you are.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » April 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply. Also, does anyone know if any cell phone service works at all in this area, or if not would anyone recommend a satellite phone or other device that could be used in emergencies to communicate with outside world?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 23rd, 2015, 11:08 am

LostTexan wrote:Thanks for the reply. Also, does anyone know if any cell phone service works at all in this area, or if not would anyone recommend a satellite phone or other device that could be used in emergencies to communicate with outside world?
It's hit and miss (AT&T), generally better as you come around towards the south side. If you have line-of-sight to a ski area, pretty good odds. Generally means climbing to a ridgeline or similar high point. (Nothing of value to suggest on other devices.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...